Conduit necessary?

Old 04-12-06, 05:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit necessary?

From an earlier thread, the NEC shows that
Quote:
334.30(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.
(Thanks, Rocky Mountain)
Does this mean that the AL flex conduit my electrician pulled that contains #2 AWG from the main panel to the subpanel was not necessary?

Old 04-12-06, 05:37 PM
No, not at all. Would you care to explain why you think your electrician might possibly have used unnecessary material?

Old 04-12-06, 09:51 PM
C
No. There is a big difference. The key phrase in that NEC quote is "Nonmetallic-sheathed cable"...Thats what most of us call "romex". That #2 wire inside that flexible conduit is not romex. In fact, it is not even a cable...A cable consists of multiple wires together in a sheathing. Individual wires such as you describe must have some protection, so they are ran in conduit.

Old 04-13-06, 01:11 PM
T
Romex vs. metal flex

Please don't get me wrong, I love the protection that the metal flex provides. I am not going to remove the conduit for the #2either. (Did that once already because it was too small.)

But an earlier post suggested that I don't need to run the flex conduit over my cathedral ceiling if I am just going to run #12 in it and then splice it in a jbox to romex. The romex would then run to receptacles and switches. Instead, I could just run the romex directly from my main panel to the receptacles.

I suppose I find it hard to swallow that the little extra sheathing around the wires in romex is comparable to the metal flex.
All of the #2 wire from the main to subpanel is concealed unless you get into the attic. Therefore it seems to follow that it satisifies the code requirement to be unsupported. I realize that unsupported is not unprotected. Mainly I am trying to decide to run more conduit or just romex in the ceiling.

Old 04-13-06, 01:14 PM
J
Received 309 Votes on 265 Posts
The difference is that individual conductors no matter what size are not rated to be run outside conduit. Multiple conductors in a jacket(metal or plastic) are a cable assy and have two layers of protection, the jacket and the insulation on the wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: