Receptacle Location and Accesibility

Old 04-13-06, 11:31 AM
Receptacle Location and Accesibility

I am remodeling my laundry room and just purchased a washer and dryer which I intend to stack in the corner of the room. I want to install the washer and dryer receptacles behind the appliances (The dryer receptacle is a big eyesore). Is this a code violation as the only way to access the power cords is is to move the appliances out of the way which is virtually impossible for one person to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-06, 11:36 AM
Don't know if its a code violation but it doesn't sound like a very good idea. I would not want to be in a position where I couldn't unplug a large appliance but I guess there's always the circuit breaker.

Perhaps a wooden box to cover the receptacle but still leave it accesable?

Old 04-13-06, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Don't know if its a code violation but it doesn't sound like a very good idea. I would not want to be in a position where I couldn't unplug a large appliance but I guess there's always the circuit breaker.

Perhaps a wooden box to cover the receptacle but still leave it accesable?
I don't see what code you are violating. The situation is similar to a refrigerator; i.e. portable appliance. Personally, I wouldn't want a plug (especially if your dryer is 220V, don't know if it is) accessible. Plus it looks bad.

Old 04-13-06, 12:44 PM
No code violation with receptacles behind appliances, if you can reach the cord and plug.

Last edited by racraft; 04-13-06 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-13-06, 02:55 PM
The NEC requires appliances to have a readily accessable disconnect. What this means is that you must either have the circuit breaker for, or a switch, in sight of the appliance. OR, if cord and plug connected, the plug may serve as the disconnecting means - - -BUT, only if you don't have to move the appliance. A range with a drawer that when removed allows plug access meets this criteria. A dryer, however, must have the plug either above it or to the side if another disconnect isn't available. The same rules apply to the washer

Old 04-13-06, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by itsunclebill
The NEC requires appliances to have a readily accessable disconnect. What this means is that you must either have the circuit breaker for, or a switch, in sight of the appliance. OR, if cord and plug connected, the plug may serve as the disconnecting means - - -BUT, only if you don't have to move the appliance. A range with a drawer that when removed allows plug access meets this criteria. A dryer, however, must have the plug either above it or to the side if another disconnect isn't available. The same rules apply to the washer
If this is how the code is interpreted, then every refrigerator known to man is in violation of it.

Old 04-13-06, 04:09 PM
Most refridgerators are on rollers. We were talking about washers and dryers here, though.

2005 NEC ©®

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.
(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(A) Rated at Not Over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated at not over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
(B) Appliances Rated Over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Like it or not, I don't see much ambiguity here.

Old 04-13-06, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by itsunclebill
Most refridgerators are on rollers.

2005 NEC

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.
(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(A) Rated at Not Over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated at not over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
(B) Appliances Rated Over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Like it or not, I don't see much ambiguity here.
I don't see anything in 422.33 that says anything about rollers and their exception of from this code.

Again, if this is the code that you are going to apply to this, then refrigerators are in violation of it, rollers or not.

I thought that anything not bolted in, including ovens, refrigerators, dryers, washers, etc did not fall under this code, but some other about moveable appliances..? Forgive me as I don't have the NEC handy.

BTW most stand-alone ovens that are not permanent installations also would be in violation, along with refrigerators. I know mine would.

Old 04-13-06, 04:23 PM
Ranges are secured in place by an anti-tipping bracket.

Dryers aren't.

I haven't seen a dryer outlet not located behind the dryer. It's standard practice. It is "accessible", it's just not "readily accessible".

Old 04-13-06, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain
Ranges are secured in place by an anti-tipping bracket.
Ahh..very true. I guess that's where the 'bottom drawer' trick comes in.