Adding an outlet?

Old 04-14-06, 03:42 PM
Adding an outlet?

I am oadding an outlet in my living room is it alright to use 12- 2 cable. Also, what do these numbers stand for and when should different size wires be used?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-06, 03:51 PM
I am oadding an outlet in my living room is it alright to use 12- 2 cable.
That depends, what is the original wire size of the circuit you will be adding on to?

12= the size in american wire gauge.
2= the amount of conductors in the cable.

The equipment grounding conductor is not counted in NM cable.

So when we say 12/2 NM there is two insulated conductors and one bare copper equipment grounding conductor.

Chris

Old 04-14-06, 03:54 PM
how do I find out the existing wire size

Old 04-14-06, 05:35 PM
there is few common way to tell what size the wires are and in most home for common circuits genrally are 12-2 or 14-2 romax's

but a catch here if you want to extend the circuit it have to be grounded.

the other catch with 12-2 or 12-3's if you tied with 14-2 or 14-3's you have to restrict to 15 amp circuit cant run 20 amp on 14 gauge wire size

the fastest way to tell is look at your breaker/ fuse box and it genrally will have marking on the wires it will tell you the size and type .

but keep in your mind there are few circuits take pretty big wire like dryer , water heater and stove some case central air unit take 10-2 or bigger

Merci , Marc

Old 04-14-06, 08:09 PM
If I have a 14-2 cable (romax) will it be a problem if I hook it up to an outlet that has 12-2 on it, since the 14-2 is bigger.

Old 04-14-06, 08:26 PM
If I have a 14-2 cable (romax) will it be a problem if I hook it up to an outlet that has 12-2 on it, since the 14-2 is bigger.
let me correct this the 14-2 is smaller than 12-2 let you know the mistake here before you get too far with this

the lower the number the larger the wire it get until verylarge cable like service entrince cable it can go backwards like 2/0 and so

Merci , Marc

Old 04-14-06, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the correction French. I don't know why I wrote it that way, I knew the cable got bigger as the number got smaller.
So if the exsisting wire is 14-2 can I put a 12-2 on as new wire.

Old 04-15-06, 04:53 AM
You are allowed to use larger wire than the NEC requires. There are even times when this is desirable, but these times usually have to do with concerns about voltage drop, so they are typically for longer runs.

So yes, it is permissible to use 12 gage wire on a 15 amp 14 gage wire circuit. However, I strongly discourage this. The reason I discourage this is because it could be confusing.

Sometime later you, or someone else, might look to extend this circuit even further, or to move the receptacle you just added in such a way that they need to replace the wire. They may even decide to increase the circuit breaker or fuse size, based on them seeing 12 gage wire where they are looking. This would be bad.