Getting Shocked help Please

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-15-06, 09:23 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1
Question Getting Shocked help Please

Ok I Just put in an above ground pool. I was told I had to Have an outlet to run the pump instead of using an extension cord. So I went to the local hardware store. Where They sold me What I needed (I Hope). I connected 12/2 cable that was made for being buried under ground. I onnected the 3 wires to a junction box that runs straight to the breaker box nothing else is on it. (20 amp left over from an gas furnace that was replaced). I buried about 80feet of this cable about 2 foot under ground. I connected it to a gfci outlet then I proceeded up the pole to a switch where I connect the black wires to both sides then too a Lamp at the top of the pole. The gfci test works the pool runs. But when I touch the outer casing of the pump I get shocked also when I touch the switch I get Shocked. and if just a lttle water drips onto the pump the cgfi switch pops instantly. I attached the black wires to the brass screws and the white to the silver and I attached the ground(bare) to the green screw I also was careful to connect the wires continuing up the post to the load side. Am I missing something? When I plug the Pump into a extension cord I do not get Shocked, Please help
 

Last edited by rjm684; 04-15-06 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-15-06, 09:53 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 159
Please, shut off the power and call an electrician.

The $200 will be cheaper than a funeral.
 
  #3  
Old 04-15-06, 10:18 PM
bolide's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,909
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rjm684
Ok
Overstatement.

I Just put in an above ground pool. I was told I had to have an outlet to run the pump instead of using an extension cord.
Quite true. But not just any outlet.


> So I went to the local hardware store where they sold me
So they did.

> what I needed (I hope).
Your hope is in vain.

> I connected 12/2 cable that was made for being buried underground.
100% guarantee that it is the wrong cable (UF) for your pool.


> I connected the 3 wires to a junction box that runs straight to the breaker box
> nothing else is on it.
> (20 amp left over from an gas furnace that was replaced).
Must have been a really big furnace. But I digress.


> I buried about 80feet of this cable about 2 foot underground.
Fine depth. But you were just burying your money.


> I connected it to a gfci outlet then I proceeded up the pole to a switch
> where I connect the black wires to both sides then to a lamp at the top of the pole.

Is this a wooden pole?


> The gfci test works the pool runs.
Does the light work?


> But when I touch the outer casing of the pump I get shocked
> also when I touch the switch I get shocked.

How many feet of green #8 copper did you use for equipotential bonding?


> if just a lttle water drips onto the pump the gfci switch pops instantly.

That's a good thing.


> I attached the black wires to the brass screws
> and the white to the silver
> and I attached the ground (bare) to the green screw.

A bare ground? But you know that you can't have a bare ground with a pool.


> Am I missing something?

Lots of things, like knowing how to install pool electrical equipment.


> When I plug the pump into a extension cord I do not get shocked

So obviously somehow your bare ground wire is hot.
And you want someone to tell you how that happened after you used the wrong materials and followed the wrong installation procedure.

Have you done other electrical work in your house? That could be contributing to this problem.


The problem is not with the equipment, rather with the installer.
I would be very embarrassed if an extension cord made in China was safer than an electrical installation that I put in.

You made some bad choices by not finding out how it is supposed to be installed until after you spent time and money.


How many pools are you installing this year? Not a lot (I hope).
I think you would be much better off leaving this critical task to someone who knows how to do it rather than trying to figure it out yourself.

What if you had gotten in the pool before you found out that it was shocking you?
 
  #4  
Old 04-16-06, 04:56 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Bolide seems to have pointed out most of your problems. I will try to summarize them.

You are not allowed to use UF cable outdoors for a pool. You MUST use individual wires in conduit, including an insulated ground wire.

The circuit for the pool must be 20 amp and must be GFCI protected.

The pool must be bonded to the pump along with any other metal near the pool using number 8 (or larger wire, smaller gage) copper wire.

The receptacle for the pool must be at least five feet from the pool and must be a twist lock connector with an in use waterproof cover.

You must have a convenience receptacle located at least ten but not more than 20 feet from the pool.

Please call an electrician. You are in over your head. You never should have started this project until you learned what you needed to do. You have wasted money and have an unsafe situation.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'