Wiring Vanity

Old 04-16-06, 11:57 AM
Wiring Vanity

I have a new, 4 light, incandescent vanity fixture to wire. It is a wooden, rectangular box with a metal housing for the wiring. All that the directions say with regard to the wiring is this:

"Connect house wire to wires inside fixture, using standard wire connectors as per local code. Make sure that fixture is grounded with brass or green wire to assure proper electrical connection. NOTE: Wire connectors MUST BE inside the fixture enclosure."
I have a ceiling box in the wall right where the light goes, but it is on the left side, so my wires will not reach inside the fixture, nor will the fixture wires reach inside my ceiling box. The enclosure in the fixture does not have a clamp for Romex, or a knockout where I can put a clamp, just a 7/8" diameter hole with a plastic ring that protects the wires from the metal edge. The ceiling box has the power supply (Romex 12-2) and the wire (BX) coming from the switch. I have a plan, but I'll run it by you guys to be sure. It involves cutting a 18" piece of Romex to run from the box to the fixture opening, which I'll call LB, LW, & LG; Power is P and Switch is S:

In the ceiling box:

PB & SW (marked black)
PW & LW
SB & LB
PG, LG, and G pigtail to metal box

This means I have the 18" piece of Romex (L) coming out of a knockout clamp on the box, running along the fixture behind the enclosure to the hole on the enclosure--should I staple it to the wooden box?

Sorry so long for a simple question, but I was trying to be clear.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 12:42 PM
> I have a ceiling box in the wall right where the light goes
How many cubic inches is it?

> should I staple [NM cable] to the wooden box?
No reason to unless necessary to keep the cable away from the hot light sockets.

Old 04-16-06, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by bolide
How many cubic inches is it?
Not sure exactly--it's the typical octagon shaped kind. 3.5" x 3.5" x 1.5", so I guess that's ~ 18.375 cubic inches.

Old 04-16-06, 03:40 PM
How about 15.5 cu in?

Is the back of the fixture flush to the wall?

Is this "wood" actual combustible material?

Old 04-16-06, 04:08 PM
Is the back of the fixture flush to the wall?
Yes, except the back and top are open. The metal enclosure inside the 'box' is a few inches away from the wall. Here it is:

http://www.estatebath.com/product.aspx?c=4&i=155

Is this "wood" actual combustible material?
Front is oak. Sides are particle board with veneer.

Old 04-16-06, 05:15 PM
> just a 7/8" diameter hole with a plastic ring that protects the wires from the metal edge.

What metal edge?

> Yes, except the back and top are open.
If it is flush against the wall, how are you getting the cable to the hole?

> Front is oak. Sides are particle board with veneer.
And the back is metal?

Anyway, perhaps someone else has installed one of these units.

But if it is what I think it is, you need to move the box in the wall.
If it has a metal cable tray the whole way across the back and you can knockout a hole to match your box location, then it is okay.

I still suspect that you might need another cubic inch in your junction box. A box-mounted light fixture adds volume. Yours in surface-mounted and apparently has no such provision.

Old 04-17-06, 11:34 AM
> just a 7/8" diameter hole with a plastic ring that protects the wires from the metal edge.

What metal edge?

> Yes, except the back and top are open.
If it is flush against the wall, how are you getting the cable to the hole?

> Front is oak. Sides are particle board with veneer.
And the back is metal?
The wooden box (that is open on the back and the top) is 4" deep. The metal box is along the front of the fixture--it is the width of the entire fixture (24"), and is only 1" deep, so the back of the metal enclosure is 3" from the wall.

The 7/8" hole on the back of the metal box where the wires go in is lined with a plastic ring.

Old 04-18-06, 12:00 AM
Sorry to keep bringing this back, but does anybody see a problem with this installation? Bolide had a lot of questions that I tried to clarify, but I still don't think I got a yea or nay from anybody.