Bedroom Lights / Outlets same circuit

Old 04-16-06, 01:45 PM
pendoreilleskie
Visiting Guest
Bedroom Lights / Outlets same circuit

Can bedroom lights and outlets be on the same AFCI breaker?

Are there instances where you need to avoid (anywhere in the hosue) having lights and outlets on the same circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 02:33 PM
> Can bedroom lights and outlets be on the same AFCI breaker?

Yes. Add up your projected loads.

> Are there places where you need to avoid having lights and outlets on the same circuit?

Yes. Kitchen, workshop, darkroom, and any circuit serving receptacles in more than one bathroom.
Dining area and similar area cannot be on circuit with unswitched receptacles in those same rooms.
Laundry area lights should not be combined with any receptacle serving washer machine, dryer, iron, or other laundry functions.

I also suggest avoiding receptacles on the same circuit with the lights for stairwells and the pathway to the breaker panel itself.
This way, you can get to the panel safely even if you overloaded a receptacle.

I believe that the same principle applies where necessary to allow safe egress from a swimming pool or other area that is becomes extraordinarily dangerous in the dark.

Also, I suggest that you try to avoid putting smoke detectors on a circuit with any receptacles - again, if something overloads or melts down, you don't want the smokes potentially disabled.
With the price of AFCIs, this is not always economically feasible.