Outdoor sauna wiring

Old 04-16-06, 06:19 PM
tleip
Visiting Guest
Outdoor sauna wiring

I just picked up a used (tiny) outdoor sauna and would like to install it on the side of our house. The instruction manual for the sauna says that it draws 13.8 amps and needs a 110/20-amp receptacle.

Since the planned location is about 20 feet from the breaker box, I was planning to install a dedicated breaker and run 3 - #12 wires in PVC conduit to a GFCI outlet with a weatherproof plastic 'bubble' cover.

Does this make sense? Can anyone tell me what is code for this situation? Are there restrictions regarding distance from the Sauna to the outlet as with spas and pool? Is there anything above and beyond the code which also might make sense to do?

Thanks,

Terry

Last edited by tleip; 04-16-06 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 07:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by tleip
Does this make sense?
Your plan sounds good.

Can anyone tell me what is code for this situation?
There is nothing above and beyond for portable saunas that I know of. Just install a properly grounded 20A GFCI receptacle as per the manufacturer's instructions. Adhere to 18" burial depth and protection if the conduit runs underground.

Are there restrictions regarding distance from the Sauna to the outlet as with spas and pool? Is there anything above and beyond the code which also might make sense to do?
I think you're good to go. I don't personally consider a sauna to be a 'similar installation' to a pool or spa, so article 680 does not apply regarding pools and spas.