spa disconnect and line of sight

Old 04-17-06, 02:14 PM
tleip
Visiting Guest
spa disconnect and line of sight

I'll be installing a small portable spa on the side of my house, and there is a 8x8 storage shed that is directly between the spa location and the main breaker box - it would be great if I could install the GFCI subpanel between the storage shed and the main box, but this wouldn't be in "line of sight" with the spa. The other side of the location is a wrought iron fence, so I can't move the spa more than 3 feet away from the shed.

Will this be an issue for an inspector since you need to look on the other side of the shed or should I just run the line past the spa (through the iron fence) for 5' and put the subpanel out there?

Also (revealing my ignorance) I found a great deal on a 240/60 amp spa GFCI/disconnect, but my little spa only requires a 240/20 amp supply....is there a problem using the higher rated unit?

Thanks for the help, this board is great!

Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by tleip
...so I can't move the spa more than 3 feet away from the shed.
I have to admit, I can't readily visualize your installation.

Will this be an issue for an inspector since you need to look on the other side of the shed or should I just run the line past the spa (through the iron fence) for 5' and put the subpanel out there?
Yes, this is technically an issue, if the equipment being serviced is not within sight of it's disconnect.

680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means. One or more means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment.

Article 100: In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be “in sight from,” “within sight from,” or “within sight,” and so forth, of another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.
I found a great deal on a 240/60 amp spa GFCI/disconnect, but my little spa only requires a 240/20 amp supply....is there a problem using the higher rated unit?
I recommend you get a 240V 20A GFCI disconnect for the hot tub. Follow the installation instructions to the tee.

You describe this as a "small, portable spa." Is it storable?
Storable Swimming or Wading Pool. Those that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.
If not, the wiring becomes more complex.

Does this better describe your tub?
Spa or Hot Tub. A hydromassage pool, or tub for recreational or therapeutic use, not located in health care facili-ties, designed for immersion of users, and usually having a filter, heater, and motor-driven blower. It may be installed indoors or outdoors, on the ground or supporting structure, or in the ground or supporting structure. Generally, a spa or hot tub is not designed or intended to have its contents drained or discharged after each use.
Are you having this inspected? Pools and spas are not forgiving when it comes to mistakes, lives can be jeopardized very easily.

Old 04-17-06, 09:28 PM
pendoreilleskie
Visiting Guest
before I wired my tub I went and talked to the electrical inspector when I got my permit, take a picture of what you are envisioning and ask them about the line of sight ... the subpanel/disconnect has to be at least 5' from the water, right?