Electrical problem after DTV satellite installed

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-17-06, 03:33 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1
Electrical problem after DTV satellite installed

A year ago we got the satellite for local TV installed by DTV and since then we've had problems with the TV blacking out when we turned on a space heater or the leaf blower - all at the TV end of the house. But I also had the radio fade out at the other end of the house when I plugged in a towel heater. Is the problem w/ the satellite pulling too much juice or should I just call an electrician? I hope someone can help me.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-17-06, 04:52 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 5,663
Satellite pulls almost not juice. About as much as the TV.

Your problem is likely a loose connection somewhere. Are all the affected devices on the same circuit? if they are then all devices(receptacles, lights, switches, junction boxes) need to be checked.
If the problem is on multiple circuits then it could be a problem with the main power connection in your box, your meter or on the POCO side.
 
  #3  
Old 04-18-06, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,531
It sounds like you have a problem called a "loose neutral." This can happen inside our outside of your house, and most power companies will come out and check the wiring exterior to your home for free. This is a good first step when diagnosing a loose neutral problem.

This problem is probably completely unrelated to the satellite dish installation unless perhaps the installer knocked your service wiring loose with his ladder. This is highly unlikely though. The typical cause is either high winds if the problem is outside the house or a weak connection at a receptacle that eventaully failed.

A satellite receiver uses very little power compared to a space heater or leaf blower. It is much more likely that one of those appliances is causing the problem.

If you feel comfortable working with wiring and electricity, you can troubleshoot this problem yourself. If not, you should call an electrician.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes