Install an exhaust fan in a TV cabinet

Old 04-17-06, 05:18 PM
Install an exhaust fan in a TV cabinet

I have a wooden TV cabinet, with around 5 electrical components inside of it (DVR, amplifier, DVD player etc). The DVR pumps out alot of heat and I have to keep the cabinet doors open, in order to dissipate the heat.

I want to install a fan in the rear of the cabinet, which will pump out the hot heat in the cabinet. Just like a fan inside of a PC.

Can anyone recommend how I do this? It's a simple thing to do, but I can't seen to find a fan that I can plug into a regular power socket. I want to be able to take a PC case fan and use that, but all the wiring is different.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
You can use a PC cooling fan if you get a 12 VDC transformer to power it. PC fans are quiet and cheap but you have to add the extra cost of a transformer. Search online for "12 volt transformer". Most case fan specs will say how many watts it consumes but most transformers are rated in amps. Divide your case fan watts by the voltage (12) to get its amperage (example: a 24 watt 12 volt fan consumes 2 amps).

There are AC cooling fans available but they are generally more expensive but on the plus side you don't have the trouble, expense and inefficiency of a transformer. You can look for fans online from places like: Surplus Center, Manhattan Supply, Grainer...

Old 04-17-06, 07:11 PM
Found One

Thanks for your advice.

I managed to find a place online that sells AC fans that plug directly to the outlet. They are identical to PC fans.

www.buyextras.com

Just got to order one and install it.

Old 04-17-06, 07:36 PM
An AC powered fan in the 4-5" range will be quieter than a PC fan anyway. They have larger blades and run at a lower RPM while actually moving more air.

You can even get them with rubber surrounds to limit vibration and noise transfer to the casing it's mounted to, making them even quieter.