Pool Pump & Timer- True 240V?

Old 04-19-06, 11:22 AM
Pool Pump & Timer- True 240V?

I have only 2 hots and a ground going to the fuse box at my pool pump. From the fused side of the box are 2 hot wires to the timer and then of course back to the pool pump. No ground on the metal timer box (Dayton brand from grainger). I assume the timer is also a true 240V since it has no neutral also. I plan to ground the metal timer box. I have to rewire the power to the fuse box and if I need a neutral, I can add it now, but see no place for it. It has worked fine wired this way for 30 years but it doesnt look right to me. I cant read the specs on the timer box or the model# so I cant find out, but I am afraid it operates much like the controlas on a dryer and it is only 120V. If that is the case, I am gonna need a neutral...... Any help appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 11:35 AM
A 240 volt load needs a 240 volt timer. A 240 volt timer does not need a neutral, but it does need a ground. A 240 volt timer can be used on a 240 load or on a combination 120/240 volt load.

A 120 volt timer requires a neutral and cannot be used on a 240 volt load. A 120 volt timer needs both a neutral and a ground.

Old 04-19-06, 09:39 PM
One common brand of pool timers, Intermatic, is available where the timer motor is 120, and also with a 240 motor. You need to find out which you have.

Old 04-19-06, 10:36 PM
for the timer usage is the timer located indoor ?? if so and i am sure there is a number on the timer itself

i work on alot of commercal / industrail timers so i can find a number in a snap because i deal with Grainer alot anyway

you can get intermatic timer or dayton both are very good products i dont have much quriks with them.

but one catch with pool timer i am sure some pool do have a heater to warm the pool water if so let us know i know there is a specal timer to deal with that.

but the voltage at pump motor is 240 volt right ?? if so then there is double pole timer for it

let us know what you deiced to do next

merci , marc

Old 04-20-06, 07:45 AM
Timer is outside, faded and no numbers..It is a 2 pole switch with only grond, no neutral.. I did wire it as it was and so far so good.......I put on a #10 bare for ground since it was grounded thru the conduit and those fittings may be corroded.....It is 240V..No pool heater.......I am sure this timer is a 240V timer.I looked in Graniger book and they make one with 2 switch posts...

Old 04-20-06, 11:49 AM
ok ,, then you have to use the outdoor rated timer like 3R box or raintight box type to prevent any water get inside the timer

but otherwise you found it in Grainer book that good just make sure you get the right enclosure type that all

Merci, Marc