How do you anchor cable within an existing wall

Old 04-19-06, 11:13 AM
How do you anchor cable within an existing wall

From what I understand, when running a new receptical, you're suppose to anchor the cable within 8" of the box. I've read anywhere from 8" to 12" in books/internet. Which is correct ? Also, what is the significance of this ? I can't find the "why" to this. Only thing I can think of is so that it doesn't shift over time.

It's pretty easy when you're doing a new install and have full access to the studs. What do you pros do if you're running a new receptical where there's an existing wall ? How do you go about anchoring the new cable ?

Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 11:37 AM
With existing walls and/or ceilings you do not have to anchor the cable, the drywall/plaster/whatever is considered to be the anchor.

Old 04-19-06, 11:41 AM
Achoring Cable

In new work when the walls are open you are required to anchor non metallic cable within one foot of a box that has the cable secured to the box with cable clamps and within eight inches if the box does not have the cable secured to the box with cable clamps. Were the cable is fished into finished walls you are not required to anchor the cable. One of the main reasons to anchor the cable in new work is to reduce the chances it will get pinched or faulted by a screw or nail. In a finished wall; old work; there is no practical way to secure the cable between the fish points and there is a reduced likelihood of cable damage because the fasteners are already in the wall.

Old 04-20-06, 06:41 AM
Thanks for explaining.

Old 04-20-06, 09:19 AM
Feedback Welcome

Originally Posted by Scott_K
Thanks for explaining.
And thank you for taking the time to let us know you read our replies.