fishing wire question

Old 04-19-06, 01:14 PM
Question fishing wire question

Hey all, I have an older home in Toronto which has quite a bit of knob and tube, both sockets and switches. Rewiring the ground floor is easy since the basement ceiling is exposed and I can run wires along that. Here is my question; There is a cavity between studs (don't know if it's lined or not) which is used to get heat and AC from the basement right up to the second floor. This would be ideal for me to run 14-2 up to the second floor. It is right near my panel and in a central location of the house. What does the code say about doing this? Can I run 14-2 in a conduit inside the cavity?

The interior wall construction is lath and plaster wood frame and I'd like to avoid ripping into the walls to save time and money refinishing.

Also what does the code say about running wire behind baseboards? The baseboards are old 3" baseboards with a quarter round at the bottom. We'd like to rip these out anyway and replace them with maybe 4" by 1/2" natural wood baseboards with no quarter round.

Don't all jump on me here, I could be really wrong in asking these questions...

Thanks all, Andrew.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-06, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by hartandrew
Can I run 14-2 in a conduit inside the cavity?
No. In the event of an electrical fire, the duct would spread hazardous smoke and fumes throughout the house. For this reason wiring is prohibited in air handling ducts. Moreover, the hot air from the furnace will break down the wire insulation.

The interior wall construction is lath and plaster wood frame and I'd like to avoid ripping into the walls to save time and money refinishing.
With the right techniques, you can do quite a bit of wiring without ripping out walls. Ceiling fixtures are the hardest to get to without removing plaster.

Also what does the code say about running wire behind baseboards?
U.S. code would prohibit this as trim is not adequate protection from nails/staples; Canadian code is often similar. There are some Canadian electricians on this board who can give a definate answer.

Don't all jump on me here, I could be really wrong in asking these questions...
The only dumb questions are those not asked. It is much better to get the right answer ahead of time than to do the project wrong and have to rip it out.

Old 04-19-06, 02:13 PM
> which is used to get heat and AC from the basement right up to the second floor.

Inside metal stack?

> Can I run 14-2 in a conduit inside the cavity?
Probably not. Perhaps 12-2 with a 15A breaker.

But it can't be inside the tin duct.

> Also what does the code say about running wire behind baseboards?

That's fine provided that you put a 1/16" steel plate over the entire length or put it inside steel conduit.

> I could be really wrong in asking these questions...

Sure beats the folks who install it all wrong and then come here to ask how to fix it but don't want to hear the truth.

Old 04-19-06, 04:52 PM
You can run the wires beside the heating ducts and pipes. You can not run the wires in the cold air return or the supply heating ducts.