Electrical Generators

Old 04-20-06, 08:57 PM
Electrical Generators

Hi folks;
Been a long time since I had to post a question here. I know that this has probably been asked ad-nauseum, but here it goes. I am in the market for a portable electrical generator for my house. This will be for emergency power only as my area is served by old overhead wires and we seem to be getting more and more power outages.
I have computed and am down to either a 5500 ( bare minimum) or a 7500 ( comfortable) watts generator. Now does anyone have any idea(s) of a reliable generator,ie; Generac/Yamaha/Guardian/Briggs Stratton? Internet searches bring up so much BS it's hard to believe the hype on some of them.
I am in the N.E. and will be using a transfer box for connection. I already have talked to a reliable electrician and he advised me to shop around and whatever I decide he will install very reasonably.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-06, 09:48 PM
> I have computed and am down to either a 5500 ( bare minimum) or
> a 7500 ( comfortable) watts generator.

A comment on this:
These things are thirsty. Maximum endurance comes from the smaller unit. If you are thinking winter time, you need very little power but long endurance to last through a storm.

5500W is quite a bit if you manage it well. You just won't be able to use central A/C. What type of fuel does your furnace use?

Old 04-20-06, 10:07 PM
type of fuel

Thanks for the comeback.
That entered into my mind as to the boiler. It uses the proverbial #2 FO and I don't think that they make a diesel that small! Although it would be nice to have a 250 gallon reserve of generator fuel ! LOL!
Reason I am probably over calculating is that I have two sodium lights external mounted on the house for yard security and a internal security system which would have to be on. The boiler supplies hot water, so it would always have to available and two refridges as well. There are some some other assorted appliances that would be desireable but can be pared.

Old 04-20-06, 11:02 PM
speaking of small diesel generators yes they do make that small but only bad part is the noise it a bitlouder than gas unit especally with single cylinder engine will crank out.

I have computed and am down to either a 5500 ( bare minimum) or a 7500 ( comfortable) watts generator
ok you may have to make a choice on wattage size it will cost more for bigger unit but it will handle the load much better but the fuel useage will go up some as well

typically 5500 watt gas fired generator will burn about a gallon of gasoline per hour at full load

typically 7500 watts gas fired generator will burn about gallon a half per hour at full load

part load like half load it do varies alot by engine manufacters

the diesel unit 5.5 Kw size will gulp about 3/4 gallon fuel per hour at full load while 7.5 Kw [if they have this size ] will gulp little over a gallon per hour at full load but run half load you go very long way with it

the diesel units typically cost over 2000 bucks unless you find one in ebay [ take a grain of salt to verify it ]

the gas will run 500 bucks and up depending on how hevey duty the engine it have

most generators generally have 3- 7 gallon tank depending on manufacter is

the other thing with generator make sure you have interlock kit on breaker box or run transfer switch box to prevent backfeed to the power company system [ this can be very dangerous if it happend ]

if need more question drop a line we will try to guide you the correct source

merci , marc

http://www.northerntool.com/

this link you just click on generator it will guide you in correct direction and have pretty good listing of generators incuding diesel verison

Old 04-21-06, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Bob M
... #2 FO and I don't think that they make a diesel that small!
Not that I recall seeing.

> Although it would be nice to have a 250 gallon reserve of generator fuel!
I think so. Even if you had a second fuel oil tank, you could use both for your boiler so that the fuel would always be fresh and you should always have 250G in reserve.

> I have two sodium lights externally mounted on the house for yard security

Ah, yes, in times of emergency it is good to announce to the neighborhood that you have electric.

> and an internal security system which would have to be on.
Especially since everyone knows that you have heat, food, fuel, etc. They'll be looking to get in.

Where I am, four-hour outages are probably about once a year.
One-day outages happen about once every five to eight years. One-week outages are probably like once every 50 years.

But I know long outages happen somewhere in the USA probably every year (usually Florida, I think). Obtaining a small diesel genset could give you that extra security which I gather that you desire.