Wiring Design

Old 04-22-06, 10:00 AM
Wiring Design

I'm trying to figure out the best way to add a new switch and outlet to an existing circuit for some under-counter lighting. I put some photos on a webpage. If someone can let me know the best approach it would be extremely helpful!!

http://www.netspark.com/wiring/wiring.html

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-06, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by floridagator
If someone can let me know the best approach it would be extremely helpful!!
The best approach would be IMHO to run a new 15 amp circuit from the panel to a wall switch (where ever you want) and then run wires to the new light locations just under the edge of the upper cabinets. You may not even need the switch if the lights have one.

Old 04-22-06, 10:22 AM
Run a new circuit. It looks like you may need to be doing that anyway, so add one more for lighting, and hardwire the under cabinet lights.

Old 04-22-06, 10:27 AM
Have you considered light fixtures that are hard wired rather than plugged into receptacles? Since you have it all torn out, I think that would be easier and nicer. I think it would also be better to hard wire your disposal.

If you use receptacles, they will all need to be GFCI protected. Of course, even if you hard wire the lights, you will need GFCI receptacles on either side of the sink.

Old 04-22-06, 10:42 AM
The fact that there will be a sink present means nothing as far as GFCI protection is concerned. ALL kitchen counter top receptacles must be GFCI protected, even if there is no sink.