grounding wire in ceiling light fixture

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-06, 12:55 PM
grounding wire in ceiling light fixture

I'm replacing a ceiiling light fixture. The old one had no grounding wire but the new one does. There is already a grounding wire coming out of the ceiling. What do I do with the one from the fixture? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-06, 01:08 PM
Connect them together with a wire nut.

Old 04-22-06, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by newtothis
I'm replacing a ceiiling light fixture. The old one had no grounding wire but the new one does. There is already a grounding wire coming out of the ceiling. What do I do with the one from the fixture? Thanks.

Moderator note. Uncalled for comments removed.

Last edited by mattison; 04-26-06 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 05:58 PM
Don't listen

Hey, don't for one minute listen to someone's rude comments. You made a wise decision to ask first before attempting to do an electrical connection. You had already mentioned to the forum that you're new to this. By all means ASK QUESTIONS! The forum is here to help not to criticize. Every electrician started green at one time in their career.

Old 04-25-06, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite
Uncalled for comments removed..
This is a DIY board. Just because you're not going to get the chance to charge this guy $300 to install his new fixture doesn't give you the right to insult him/her or their motivation to learn.

And why on earth would he call a handyman? You all don't take to kindly to them either on that other board...

Last edited by mattison; 04-26-06 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 12:02 AM
My opinion is that the insulting post should have been erased.
The given "answer" could be posted in response to probably half or more of the questions asked here.

The old trick to handle questions to which one doesn't know the answer is instead to insult the person who asked.

The insult can be for asking such an obviously uninformed question or to say the person wouldn't understand the answer anyway.

Regardless, this type of non-answer response deflects the question and focuses ("ad hominem") on the person who asked.

One must truly understand the subject matter before he can teach others.
Anyone can say, "You are too dumb to understand".
Translation: "I don't know enough about it to explain it, so rather admit that I don't know, I'll try to make you look stupid."

(The only how-to question I think is "stupid", is the kind where the person says he knows that what he wants to do is wrong, but he just wants to know how to do it. I don't really understand the mentality of that kind of question.)

Closed Thread