Confusing Wiring

Old 04-23-06, 03:37 PM
Confusing Wiring

I have a 2-way switch at the top of my basement steps that controls one set of lights. I decided to wire in another simple light at the top of the steps to add some light. I simply hooked it into this 2-way switch and when I went to test the light discovered that the basement lights go on when the switch is off and off when the switch is on. So, now I've got alternating lights.

Any guidance as to how this could happen and what I should look for? It's not a 3-way switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-06, 03:52 PM
I have a 2-way switch at the top of my basement steps that controls one set of lights. I decided to wire in another simple light at the top of the steps to add some light. I simply hooked it into this 2-way switch and when I went to test the light discovered that the basement lights go on when the switch is off and off when the switch is on. So, now I've got alternating lights
ok what you describing what you did is you hook up the light on the " switch loop "

what you have to do is look at the switch again and see where ya ran new wire but hold the new wire back for a min but look at the oringal wire if you only see two wires going to the single pole switch genrally will see black and white wire otherwise the white will be remarked that is switch loop if so you have to trace that wire back in basement and go to the lumiaire socket where the wire ran to.

the reason why the light alternating because once you are on loop circuit it will do very funny way with the circuit.

if you add the light top of stariway best way to do this is run new wire down to basement and hook up to the lumiaire socket to get it run propely

Merci , Marc

Old 04-23-06, 07:28 PM
Connect your new light to the existing light. You attempted to attach it to a switch, which will always be incorrect.