Splicing puck lights to lengthen run


Old 04-24-06, 05:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1
Splicing puck lights to lengthen run

I have long cabinets and I was told you can splice together the Halagon lamp wire using a shrink tube so that they can be further apart under the cabinets.

I need to run them from a 33" 37" to a 33" and was hoping to contine past the stove to the other side to a 33" end cabinet.

Is it safe to do this or where would I get longer separation between the pucks?

Also, I was told I can only plug them in and not put them to a switch.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 06:13 AM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pefferlaw
Posts: 20
I would say no to splicing the wires. My reasoning is that the wire insulation is temperature rated and if spliced must have the same temp rating. Also when you splice a wire you are potentially creating a hot spot at the joint. As far as not being able to switch them I'm not sure as I am not familiar with these lights. My best advice to you ( as a lic. Electrician) is to use flourescent under counter lights if possible they light the counter area evenly I find. And if you are unsure hire an Electrician. Remember Handymen are not electricians! I'm in Canada and according to the electrical code, only lic. Electricians and registered apprentices can do this type of work. I would guess that wiring up some under counter lights should only take 2-3 hours ( depending on how it is switched), and run you about $90 in labour.-Shawn
Old 04-25-06, 12:03 AM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 121
I agree with shawnnyc

I have to agree. Undercabinet lighting is not for the average handyman. Being in the kitchen area, there are safety issues at hand. What I suggest(I'm also lic. Electrician) is to find a good repuatable electrician that is licensed and insured for this type of work. I've done a few and they're not easy, they come with transformers special instructions and applications and a qualified and experienced electricians will tend to all code and safety issues. Also I would suggest with getting in touch with your electrical inspector in your jurisdiction and find out any information and advice he can offer, they are always helpful with the installation of new lighting and equipment.
Old 04-25-06, 06:37 AM
itsunclebill's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver, CO area
Posts: 221
Missing from this discussion is whether or not these are high or low voltage lights. Do the lights use a transformer (small box that the line cord feeds into and the lights feed from - not talking about an in-line switch here)

If the lights are high voltage splicing isn't allowed. If low voltage it is actually pretty common but you will need some help with the process.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes