Generator too large?

Old 04-24-06, 06:50 AM
Generator too large?

I just bought a EXL8000 portable generator at Home Depot rated at 8000 watts with 13,500 starting wattage for my new home. I had the builder put in a Model 30310A 10 Circuit Transfer Switch (30A) and a PB30 Power Inlet Box. I now see on the web that both the switch and inlet box are rated at max generator running watts of 7500. Does this mean that the generator is too big? Or do I just run the generator at less than full load of 8000 watts? Also, where is the best place to buy the power cord to feet the inlet box? Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 07:00 AM
No, your generator is not too large. It is just the right size. Your generator comes with a 30 amp receptacle. Your transfer panel needs a 30 amp feed.

As far as the cable you need, you can either look to buy one or make one yourself. You can probably buy one in one of several lengths, or you can buy the parts and make one yourself. The store where you bought the generator and other supplies should be able to sell you a cable, or the parts. You want type SO cord, four conductor, and you need the appropriate 30 amp twist lock connectors for each end.

Old 04-24-06, 03:28 PM
the generator size is correct and that is right up to the limit of the manual transfer switch set up.

just make sure you get 120 volt circuit balanced that all other wise it willbe a good unit to use it.

as far the loading up the generator you can go up near max contouns wattage but go up about 6,000 watt to keep some parts from overheating and it will last very long time.

and the other thing keep in your mind when any motor driven device like refridgator or frezzer or A/C or even water pump expect the light flicker [ montmery dim for a sec or so ] but if you have computer run on generator power i am not sure if you have " UPS " [ uninterupted power supply ] some may not take generator power at all. just let you know head up that all. i am not scareing ya but it will save alot of headache later on.

oh by the way for 8Kw genny you have at full load the fuel comustion will be about a gallon and half per hour but run at half load it will be much longer but that will hard to predict anyway.

just do the safe way with the generator that all and do exerscice it at least once a month to keep in good shape

Merci , Marc

Old 04-25-06, 08:32 PM
Smile

Thanks for the info. I found a 25 ft 30 amp 4-wire generator cord at Lowes that will work. Now I need to fire up the generator and practice setting up the circuits so I am ready if a hurricane comes my way. Tom

Old 04-26-06, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by tnbschare
Thanks for the info. I found a 25 ft 30 amp 4-wire generator cord at Lowes that will work. Now I need to fire up the generator and practice setting up the circuits so I am ready if a hurricane comes my way. Tom
I just finished my transfer panel install too...of course mine is only a 5000 watt generator. But still; I was surprised at how much I could run off of it.

In an emergency I would never run as much as I did during the test run but I wanted to know my limitations. That's where the two watt meters mounted on the transfer panel come in handy!

On the first test run I had to shut it down and move a couple of circuits because of an imbalance. Then I fired it up again and started turning things on. On my final test run, I was able to run two TV's, my kitchen refrigerator and a smaller fridge in the basement, every light in the house and still had enough power to start the furnace.

I'm sure if I don't run as many lights and only one TV, I could probably run a computer and a few other small things.
Glad it worked out for you!!!!!
Phil

Old 04-26-06, 06:00 AM
Be very careful running computers, televisions and other electronics off a generator. Generators produce dirty power, and sometimes some electronic equipment does not like the power, and could even be damaged.

I recommend a decent UPS for computers, and at the very least a decent surge suppressor for televisions and other electronics.

Old 04-26-06, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Be very careful running computers, televisions and other electronics off a generator. Generators produce dirty power, and sometimes some electronic equipment does not like the power, and could even be damaged.

I recommend a decent UPS for computers, and at the very least a decent surge suppressor for televisions and other electronics.
racraft,
Thanks for the advice!!!

Will do.......
Phil