new wall outlet above existing outlet

Old 04-24-06, 09:08 AM
new wall outlet above existing outlet

I want to put an outlet 4' or so above an existing outlet to plug in a new wall hung tv.
How do I punch out in the old box and how do I clamp the new romex going out of the old box?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 09:22 AM
There Should Be Knock Outs On The Top Of The Old Box (i'm Assuming The Box Is Recessed In The Wall). Knock Out The Slug And Stick A Fish Tape Up Through It In The Wall. Do This To Make Sure There Is No Bracing In The Wall. Next Cut A Hole For The New Box, Strip The End Of The Wire And Fish Down To The Existing Box. Use F Clips To Secure The New Box In The Wall. Because It Is An Existing Wall There Is No Need To Secure The Romex Inside The Wall. If The Existing Box Does Not Have A Cable Clamp Inside, Then You Can Use An L-16 (the One For Romex Not Bx) Just Put It On The Cable Before Fishing And Once Into The Old Box Just Screw On The Lock Nut. Make Joints On The Wires In The Old Box Don't Just Put The Wires Under The Screws On The Receptacle.

Old 04-24-06, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply shawnnyc.

Old 04-24-06, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by shawnyc
There Should Be Knock Outs On The Top Of The Old Box (i'm Assuming The Box Is Recessed In The Wall). Knock Out The Slug And Stick A Fish Tape Up Through It In The Wall.

I would have said TURN THE POWER OFF FIRST....but, whatever.