remote control lighting

Old 04-24-06, 10:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remote control lighting

I need to control the lights in my workshop from the house which is about 50 ft away. Lights are switched by a 3-way circuit. I was considering wiring a DPDT relay as a 4-way switch and running the the control wire back to the house through an existing conduit. There is not enough room in the conduit to run the travelers all the way back to the house. Is there a better way of doing this, maybe something "wireless"?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 10:19 AM
S
Can you not use low voltage and a relay?

Old 04-24-06, 02:03 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you checked into X10 technology. I don't know much about it but it can send signals down the existing wires to control remote items.

Old 05-28-06, 07:00 PM
J
Got my problem solved this weekend. Rigged up a mechanical latching relay made from two relays. They latch mechanically so once power is applied they will change states then will remain in that state even after power is removed. Contacts on the relay is wired up as a 4 way switch and placed in the travelers of the shop lights. Installed a small outside light so I can see the state of the shop lights from out the kitchen window. No more lights left on overnight. No making the extra trip to the shop to turn them off. relay circuit only draws current when I push the "SWITCH" button momentarily