How/where to connect neutral feeder in main panel

Old 04-24-06, 01:21 PM
How/where to connect neutral feeder in main panel

I am in the process of adding a subpanel to my late 1950's era main panel. Everything seems to be going well and is clear in my mind, but I'm not quite sure how or where I will connect my #4 neutral feeder wire at the main panel. Normally, (according to my research anyway), it should connect to the neutral bus bar in the main panel. However, it doesn't appear that my new big fat feeder wire will fit into the holes in the bus bar (though I haven't actually tried to fit it in). What are my options? Is it OK to separate the 7 strands of the cable and insert them into separate holes? I have a number of extra holes in my bus bar to be able to do this. Also, there is no separate ground bus bar in my main panel... I assume I should just connect my ground feeder wire to the neutral bus bar in the main panel? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 07:39 PM
They make adapters that the larger neutral wire will attach to, and then the adapter fits into the neutral bus. Attach the ground and the neutral to the same bar, since this is the main panel.

Old 04-24-06, 10:01 PM
what ever you do

Whatever you do, do not cut any strands off the wire or any wires for that matter. You can get adaptors to fit a larger wire but I would recommend that look into replacing that old and outdated panel for a new updated panel to fit your needs.

Old 04-25-06, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by thebeave
I am in the process of adding a subpanel to my late 1950's era main panel. Everything seems to be going well and is clear in my mind, but I'm not quite sure how or where I will connect my #4 neutral feeder wire at the main panel. Normally, (according to my research anyway), it should connect to the neutral bus bar in the main panel. However, it doesn't appear that my new big fat feeder wire will fit into the holes in the bus bar (though I haven't actually tried to fit it in). What are my options? Is it OK to separate the 7 strands of the cable and insert them into separate holes? I have a number of extra holes in my bus bar to be able to do this. Also, there is no separate ground bus bar in my main panel... I assume I should just connect my ground feeder wire to the neutral bus bar in the main panel? Thanks!
ok here u go u have a few more things do do in the main pannel first # 1 u must put a ground bar in the main pannel all the grounds go to the ground bar
# 2 the neutrals stay on the neutral bar u should see the bonding screw on the neutral bar u must remove it
# 3 go to the home center or to an electrical supply house and tell them u need a neutral lug kit its cheap about 5 bucks it will mount right on the neutral bar
# 4 in the sub pannel grounds go to the ground bar and the neutrals go to the
neutral bar u out good luck
hope this helps

Old 04-25-06, 07:13 AM
electricalme,

The original poster does not need a ground bar for his main panel, and does not need to make any changes to the existing wiring in his main panel.

The neutral and the ground should be connected at one point in his system, and that point is this main panel.