wiring up a iron gate opener ..missing wiring

Old 04-25-06, 08:56 PM
wiring up a iron gate opener ..missing wiring

Hi guys I'm that amature that wired up my hot tub with the GFI box and 240 the other week... http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=260648
I wanted to thank everyone for the helpful advice, everything went smooth, and i'm now safely sitting in my hot tub each night thanks to you guys!

I have a new question and new project now. I bought a iron gate for my driveway a year ago, hooked up the gate, and bought a gate opener. I then had some idiot friend of mine try hooking up the gate operator.... well he decided he would leave the open circuit board on the grass all night and it rained on the board frying the circuits... so i ordered a new board. THe problem i have now is that the new board arrived about a month later and it was too late in the season (too cold) to install it. Now that it is warmed up I want to tackle this project but the origional guy who tried wiring it up, left state, and we arnt friends anymore. So I have the new circuit board, I have a wiring diagram, but i have no idea what wires go where on the board. Also i've called a few electrian freinds of mine, and they are all busy for the next 2 weeks and I want to start this project now. So i have all the correct parts, I have all the right wire, I even have a wiring diagram (see the attached file), but I dont know how to read the wiring diagram or even guess as to what outside wires connect to what where...

I guess I was looking for ANY advice you guys could offer me if you were in my shoes (other than ...HIRE SOMEONE). Can you take a peak at the wiring diagram and perhaps suggest a website i can read or educate myself with a ***BRIEF*** summary of how to read these and how to properly install my wires. I have the manual here, but I think it assumes that a professional electrican is looking at the circuit board ready to wire it up and to read this diagram. Also if anyone could be so kind as to offer any clues as to what might to where...I will take pictures and show step by step me following your advice and hooking this gate up.

http://www.gatekeeperltd.com/instal6.jpg

1 U1 No.1 motor: COM/U

2 V1 No.1 motor: V

3 W1 No.1 motor: W

4 U2 No.2 motor: COM/U

5 V2 No.2 motor: V

6 W2 No.2 motor: W

You will wire from motor 1, U,V,W contacts to block 18, contacts U,V,W and from motor 2 U,V,W to block 16 U,V,W. See table and circuit diagram below. It does not matter which motor you decide to be motor 1 and which you designate motor 2. It is a good idea to use one color wire for U, one for V and one for W. For instance if you wire contains black, white, and green then you might use U=Black, V=White, and W=Green. Just remember to wire them correctly because mis-wiring could cause DAMAGE to the gate controller
http://www.gatekeeperltd.com/YG200_User_Manual.pdf
Page 18 and page 22 have the wiring diagram key

NO E-MAILS AND NO BUYING OR SELLING OF SERVICES IN THE FORUMS.
Thanks for the previous advice guys, and Ihope i'm not asking too much on this one. Please see my attached files.

Ryan

Last edited by mattison; 04-26-06 at 05:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-06, 09:39 PM
What control cables came with this? Is it separated from the equipment? As far as hooking power to it, look at the diagram for the number 21. You'll see the letters E N L . The hot wire will connect to L , the neutral will connect to N and ground to E. If your control wires are separated from the rest of the equipment then let us know what they are and what color. If you need further help with this, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and maybe I can go through it with you. I've look over the diagrams and I see that pages 17 thru 23 tells me almost everything I need to know, But I need to know what the cables are. They are probably going to be labeled with letters and numbers opposed to colors. We'll take it a step at a time.

NO E-MAIL ADDRESSES ALLOWED IN THE FORUMS

Last edited by mattison; 04-26-06 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 09:43 PM
the wires are just store bought 14 outdoor wire going from the motor into the circuit board, and i assume also from a power source into the circuit board.

Old 04-25-06, 09:49 PM
i do see E N L on the board... i guess like you said, the power cords would go there. I wonder where the motor wires (there are 2 motors) would then go?

Old 04-25-06, 09:50 PM
Did any wires come with the gate opener at all or did it come with wires connected internally already?

Old 04-25-06, 09:54 PM
here is a picture of my actual board

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41ceb595...QgvTEBj9.BNIUi

Old 04-25-06, 09:55 PM
We'll go over this slowly. As you'll see, there are numbers on the circuit boards. That's all we will pay attention to. Don't look at motors or capacitors, it will only confuse you. Just look at the numbers. Step by Step.

Old 04-25-06, 09:56 PM
Did any wires come with the gate opener at all or did it come with wires connected internally already?
From what I see, NO, i see no wires attached at all from factory, however.. like i said..this other guy could have placed them everywhere (he is a bigger bone head than myself). The ONLY wires I see on the board are coming from some 110v transformer looking thing, and they are just hanging out, not connected to anything at the moment (please see picture in previous post of mine)

Old 04-25-06, 09:58 PM
Do you see all the little green tabs around the edges. That's the terminal strips for this board. Have a pencil or pen ready and we'll go over this. like I said if you want me to contact you and we can go over this on the phone.

Old 04-25-06, 10:00 PM
sure! I'll send my number over! ) I knew this wasnt too difficult, and that i dont need to wait another 2 weeks for a electrician (I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS GATE OPEN !!)

sending via email

Old 04-26-06, 12:51 AM
ok i think i can figure out the power in, and motor wiring, however i am still very confused about the 4 wires coming out of the transformer (2 white, 2 blue) and the wires coming out of the blue capicitors(?).... Here is how i wired them on the circuit board... does any of my wiring make sense? Where should these wires be going to? I put the two front blue ones from the transformer to the transformer output (position 2)... but i think that may be wrong.. also i put both wires into that position.. am i supposed to put a blue and white to this position (split them up?)

Ryan

Old 04-26-06, 12:51 AM
Here is a picture how i just wired them up...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hiii_9...nm=d35dscd.jpg

Old 04-26-06, 08:55 PM
I got it working! thanks Jamead for all your help! It was a matter of crossing the white wires on the transformer to different terminals. The gates actually closed with the opener! Only problem i'm having now is that one of the gates...is kinda not opening very well (if at all). The motor seems somewhat weak or not installed properly on the mounting, will look at in more detail tommorow.

Ryan

Old 04-26-06, 09:35 PM
Thumbs up Great job

Great job for sticking with it ! Was quite a challenge but you've done it. Remember with controls, is to keep it simple. One thing I would like for to look into is those yellow wire nuts by the motor. That might be where the problem may be. I took a closer look at the parts and in the picture with the wire nuts, I've notice a white terminal block. Those wires that a wire nutted should disconnected from the wire nuts and landed on that wire terminal block. Keep the color sequence the same as they're on the wire nuts . Any questions you have just give me a holler. Congratulations on your fence opener.

Old 04-26-06, 09:42 PM
I'll try to take more pictures tommorow (hopefully of the completed project). Sorry my phone died on you, batteries went dead. Only immediate problem i saw was the the motor (motor 1) wasnt opening and closing the gate with any force. I took the piston off ther bracket (that it attaches to to push or pull the gate) and saw the piston come out when called and go in (it also rotates when moving in or out). Not sure if it isnt structurally installed properly on the gate, or if the motor is broken, or just too weak to open that side. Motor 2 works just perfectly , exactly as i would expect it on on commands from the remote. Any ideas of what to test next on Motor 1 ? (heheh never ending project). Also do you think a small hand grinder and water will cut asphalt driveway? ( i want to bury the cord, and too lazy to drive to the rental store for a giant wet grinder thing)

Thanks again!
Ryan

Old 04-26-06, 09:48 PM
> do you think a small hand grinder and water will cut asphalt driveway?

Not realistically. You won't cut enough depth and your progress will be a couple of feet per hour.

Is your hand grinder made to run wet?

Old 04-26-06, 09:52 PM
i think i could definatly get alot more than a couple of feet per hour, BUT i'm afraid i would grind my wheel down to nothing in a matter of 10 minutes without getting very far... but then again, i got nothing to lose and them wheels only cost a few dollars. I doubt my grinder is made for water...what risks to do I run there? You know me and water...I'm a dumbass with electrical devices and water as you know from our last conversation

Old 04-26-06, 10:12 PM
Not sure

Not sure about that one. Can't remember if I've ever had to cut asphalt. It's pretty soft, I would try a pick-axe and dig a little trench try and get it in before I would go into power tools. Try to the plumber's forum and see if they might have some ideas for asphalt. Plumbers do a lot of ground work and have experience in different excavatings.

Old 04-26-06, 11:02 PM
there is other trick i done this many time rent a gas powered saw with big 12 or 14 inch damiond blade on it. it look like kinda like oversized skill saw type if you get the idea and this will cut 4 inch blacktop pretty easy just cut parallel path and pull out the cutted black top section and dig up a trench and lay down pvc conduct and back fill and use fresh black top stuff .

or other trick is run a pipe on one end run with water hose hook up and ram it in ground water pressure will useally i will say useally push soil out the hole but it going be a messy one if not sure you can concat one of the contractor they sometime have underground boring machine it can bore thru under driveway.

i have air powered boring machine i called " thumper" it will leave a nice 3 1/2 hole but ihave smaller one it can bore 2 inch as well but have to rent a portable [ pretty large ] air commpressor to run this thumper it can make pretty straght shot but i will suggest to check around with this

Merci , Marc

Old 04-26-06, 11:06 PM
that water idea sounds like a very creative idea! never would have thought somthing like that would work. Then again.... not sure i really want to find out hehe, bet it would take a while to work and be a mess. I'll just likely rent a masonry cutter and chop across

Old 04-27-06, 03:47 AM
> i think i could definitely get alot more than a couple of feet per hour,
> BUT i'm afraid i would grind my wheel down to nothing in a matter of
> 10 minutes without getting very far...

How far are you thinking?
I was thinking with a diamond wheel.

But listen, your grinder wheel is 7" around (new).
A big wheel is 18-22" around.

> but then again, i got nothing to lose and the wheels only cost a few dollars.

If you are using that kind, you won't get very far against limestone. You'll need protection for your eyes, ears, and nose.

> I doubt my grinder is made for water...
> what risks to do I run there?
For one, ruining the motor.

> You know me and water...
I would not consider cutting asphalt dry.
If you rent a saw the doesn't have a garden hose attachment, run a stream of water to the front of the blade.
Lots of water helps to keep it cool.