Service panel indicator lamps

Old 04-26-06, 07:26 PM
Question Service panel indicator lamps

I found a generator interlock kit for my service panel main breaker. But when you are switching the entire utility, there is no indicators of what has power and what doesn't, so I am unable to tell when the power comes back on

Is there a code-compliant way to tap the large wires coming into the box so I can mount an indicator lamp in the panel? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-06, 07:49 PM
In a word, no. Watch your neighbor's houses.

Old 04-27-06, 05:32 AM
In principal, you _can_ do this. NEC 230.82 lists the equipment which may be placed _before_ the main service disconnect, and suitable metering instruments and instrumentation transformers are permitted items.

However I know of no suitable products for this application. You would need to contact metering companies and find out if any of their products are suitable for use in service equipment.

Additionally, because the main service conductors coming into your panel are unswitched and unfused, I strongly recommend that when you find a suitable product, you have it installed by a professional electrician. This is _not_ an area where you want to learn from your mistakes.

-Jon

Old 04-27-06, 09:21 AM
In principal, no contact or connection is required whatsoever to detect the presence of AC voltage.

Old 04-27-06, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by JoggingGuy
I found a generator interlock kit for my service panel main breaker. But when you are switching the entire utility, there is no indicators of what has power and what doesn't, so I am unable to tell when the power comes back on

Is there a code-compliant way to tap the large wires coming into the box so I can mount an indicator lamp in the panel? TIA
JG,
That's the main reason I didn't use a generator interlock kit on my existing service.....

The interlock kit is a cheaper effective way to go. But with a transfer panel, since main breaker in the main panel in never switched off, any of the remaining circuits in the main panel can be used to energize a night light or something else to alert you when the power is restored.

Also, the transfer panel has watt meters so you can monitor the loads and keep them in a safe range instead of guessing or relying on calculations.

To me, the cost of adding the transfer panel far outweighed the savings of an interlock on the main panel!
Phil

Old 04-27-06, 02:00 PM
my Greenlee voltage detector will pick up my feeders thru a 2" pcv conduit. It also detects OK when placed within 1/4" of the main breaker. Of course, not as convenient as having a pilot light at the panel.

Old 04-27-06, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys