Range Receptacle

Old 04-27-06, 05:25 PM
Range Receptacle

I'm replacing a stove which was previously hard wired. So I'm putting in a 4 wire/pronged wall outlet receptacle. (Which will then mate to the 4 wire plug on the delivered stove.)
My questions:
1) How high off the floor for the outlet box?
2) Can the box be inside the wall or does it need to be surface mount?
3) Would I be better off using a double gang box, or will single suffice? Thanks in advance?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 05:30 PM
1. Put the box within six or eight inches of the floor, so that you can get to it by removing the drawer from the bottom of the range.

2. Either way.

3. Larger boxes make it easier to make connections.

Old 04-27-06, 05:45 PM
> 2) Can the box be inside the wall?

Flush mount works with more stoves than surface mount.

> 3) Would I be better off using a two-gang box?
Yes. The bigger box leaves more room to fold in the large wires and more area to dissipate heat.
Pick the largest cover plate, then the largest box that fits it. I prefer steel.

Old 04-27-06, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by bolide
>

The bigger box leaves more room to dissipate heat.
Huh??? Anyone else have feedback on this??

Old 04-27-06, 07:45 PM
A larger box will provide for more airflow around the conductors, and thus more room to dissipate any heat generated by the conductors. Heat is the enemy of electrical insulation, and the essential reason that conductors have limited current carrying capacity.

Based upon the size of the conductors, the number of conductors, the number of devices being connected and the presence of cable clamps or ground wires inside the box, code requires a minimum box volume. If you meet this minimum box volume, then the thermal benefits of using a larger box will be negligible. Far more important is convenience working with the wires. A larger box will give you more space to bend and tuck the wires, and will simply leave you happier with the job.

-Jon

Old 04-27-06, 08:53 PM
Wire terminations can be hot spots.
These terminations happen to be where ambient temperature is already 50C.

Yes, high temperature is the enemy of electrical wiring.
Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) is founded on the notion that more free air around conductors is better.

To clarify, I gave two advantages of larger boxes.
My statement should not be construed as a requirement for larger boxes.

However, to say that the difference is "negligible" is like saying that the energy savings from using 6 AWG instead of 8 AWG conductors is neglible. Actually, that depends on a several factors many of which are not always easily measured or estimated.

Regardless, both advantages are true. How much value, if any, you assign to either of them is up to you.

Old 04-28-06, 06:41 AM
Having the room to easily fold in wire is the only reason for using a larger box than the required minimum.

Any issues with heat and ambient temperature would show up in larger boxes or fewer wires being required at certain temperatures and no requirement like this shows up in the NEC. Further, the term "free air" as used in the NEC implies there is no enclosure of any kind around the wire and that the air circulates freely - this is not the case in conduit or boxes where there is virtually no air movement and conductors are likely to be grouped together rather than separated. It is unlikely the ambient temp in a box used in this aplication will reach 50C, but since the insulation on most wire likely to be found in a residence is rated at 90C anyway it is a non issue.

Adding confusing and erroneous information like this isn't the least bit helpful. The derating for ambient temperature is primarily applied in industrial and commercial applications. Leaving the DIYer with a feeling that they might need to use a larger box than the code and any ease of installation would suggest is doing folks a disservice IMHO.

Old 04-29-06, 05:05 PM
I did use the double box, and couldn't have imagined using a single--thanks for the help.