Basement Subpanel

Old 04-27-06, 05:48 PM
Basement Subpanel

Hello all,
After doing my research I wanted to run my plan by you guys. My main service is 200 amp GE panel (30/40 circuit). I plan on putting in a 60 amp double pole breaker to a 12/24 circuit 125 amp GE main lug sub panel near the main service (3ft). I'll have the following circuits in the sub:5-15 amp (14-2 wire) for lights and outlets in main room, bedroom(will be AFCI), and bathroom (lights only). 1-20 amp (12-2) for bathroom GFCI outlets. 1-20 amp (12-2) for bathroom heater/fan. 1-20 amp (12-2) for workshop.

Please confirm what feeder wire I need to use.

Ground/Neutral must be seperate at the sub panel, correct?

I only have 2 slots open and they're thr bottom 2 on each side.
Should I put in a double breaker on the one side to open up a space and then move the breakers up to make room for the 60 amp?
That would basically leave the following in the main breaker.

left right
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
15 20
30 20 2- half inch
30 40
40 40
40 60
open 60

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 06:07 PM
First a general question/comment. If these are new circuits, why are you installing any 15 amp circuits? Any new circuits should be 20 amp, unless you have a very good reason to make then 15 amp.

6 gage wire for 60 amp. Why are you limiting yourself to 60 amps at the sub panel. At only three feet you can easily use larger wire and go higher amperage.

Ground and neutral MUST be separate at the sub panel.

Don't put in a tandem breaker. Instead, move one breaker from one side to the other, freeing up two spaces for your 240 volt breaker to feed the sub panel.

Old 04-27-06, 06:29 PM
> I plan on putting in a 60 amp double pole breaker
I concur that 100A makes the most sense (unless you are just moving mainly lighting circuits from the full panel to the new panel).

> to a 12 circuit 125 amp GE main lug sub panel
Why only 12? This box will be almost full. If you think you need 8, get at least 20.

> I'll have the following circuits in the sub:5-15 amp (14-2 wire)

New or existing? It sounds like these are new.
15A single-pole is appropriate for dedicated appliance circuits like fridge, sump pump, and smoke detector.

Pretty much everything else should be 20A, especially general purpose receptacles.

I never use 14/2 on a new circuit.

> for lights and outlets in main room, bedroom(will be AFCI),
> and bathroom (lights only).
Okay.

> 1-20 amp (12-2) for bathroom GFCI outlets.
> 1-20 amp (12-2) for bathroom heater/fan.
If this is the same bath, why not use 12/3?

> 1-20 amp (12-2) for workshop.
12/3.

> Please confirm what feeder wire I need to use.
#4 Cu (in some localities, #3 Cu; ask your AHJ first).

> Ground/Neutral must be separate at the sub panel, correct?
Absolutely. Get two ground bars for your subpanel.

Old 04-28-06, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info. Yes,they are new circuits and I did run 14-2 instread of 12-2, I know differently now but they are for outlets and can lights and are not going to be overloaded (drywall is up also).

Racraft-I think I will go with a larger feed breaker. The sub will be right next to the main. What do you suggest and what size wire? Is there anyythying wrong with moving over the smaller breaker under the larger 40 amp on either side?

Finally a few basic questions: How do I know I's 240V?
The feeder wire will be 3-wire(including gound) one to power bus, one to neutral bar and the last to the ground bar?

Thanks again

Old 04-28-06, 11:03 AM
Bolide made a suggestion of 100 amps, which means either #4 wire (if allowed) or perhaps #3 wire. That size panel seems fine to me.

There is nothing wrong with moving a breaker from one side of the panel to the other. You may need to attach a wire nut and an extra piece of wire, but that is allowed. Some people don't like a cable entering on on side and terminating on a breaker on the other side, but it is allowed. Position in the panel does not matter (as long as you get 240 volts when you need 240 volts).

You feeder wire needs to be FOUR wire including the ground. Two hot wires, one neutral and one ground.