2 quick bathroom wiring questions

Old 04-28-06, 09:22 AM
2 quick bathroom wiring questions

1. I am wiring two receptacles. The first one will be GFCI, can the second receptacle wired from the load side be a regular receptacle or does it also have to be a GFCI. Not quite sure what code is.

2. This question could be either for electrical or plumbing, but since I am wiring I will ask it here. I was attaching by electrical box on the stud for lighting and noticed that it will be slightly touching the hot water pipe for the sink. Does anyone know if a hot water pipe gets hot enough that it could melt the plastic. If anyone has any ideas or solutions to what I can do I am all ears. Because for decorative puposes I really need this box to be in this location. By the way it's in the basement so I'm dealing with exisiting pipes, not really an option to move the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-06, 09:56 AM
1. Wired from the load side it can be a regular receptacle.

2.Don't know actual answer but if the pipe is exposed moving it is easy.

Old 04-28-06, 10:01 AM
A hot water pipe does not get hot enough to melt the plastic of a junction box. However, I would still not let them touch.

Old 04-28-06, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by burk7030
1. I am wiring two receptacles. The first one will be GFCI, can the second receptacle wired from the load side be a regular receptacle or does it also have to be a GFCI. Not quite sure what code is.
Code requires that all bathroom receptacles be GFCI protected. I don't think you can install a non-GFI protected receptacle in a bathroom.

Old 04-28-06, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by fuente
Code requires that all bathroom receptacles be GFCI protected. I don't think you can install a non-GFI protected receptacle in a bathroom.
As long as the GFCI is the first receptacle on the bathroom circuit, the other receptacle does not have to be GFCI type. the first GFCI plug will protect all non-GFCI types that are downstream of it.

Brian

Old 04-28-06, 03:31 PM
GFCI protection is required. It can be either from a GFCI circuit breaker or from a GFCI receptacle or from a faceless GFCI.

If using a GFCI breaker then everything on the circuit is protected.

If using a GFCI receptacle or a faceless GFCI then any downstream receptacles must be powered from the load side of the GFCI receptacle or faceless GFCI, and they will then have GFCI protection.

Old 04-28-06, 03:42 PM

OP stated wired from the load side . It would be GFCI protected.

Old 04-28-06, 03:50 PM
That's correct, assuming 15 and 20A 120V receptacles. Bathrooms, boathouses, and the sink areas of laundries, utilities and wet bars have no exceptions to the GFCI requirement.

Old 04-28-06, 04:41 PM
oh I see what he was saying...wire it on the load side and the normal (non-GFCI) receptable will in fact be GFI protected.

Might look kind of funny not matching and all though.

Old 04-28-06, 04:54 PM

Who says the outlets are in the same box - or even on the same wall - or even in the same bathroom?

Old 04-28-06, 04:59 PM
You can find (if you look) GFCI receptacles where the buttons are the same color as the rest of the device. You can then buy a non-GFCI device that looks identical, except for no test and reset button. You have to look closely to tell the difference.

Old 04-28-06, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
You can find (if you look) GFCI receptacles where the buttons are the same color as the rest of the device. You can then buy a non-GFCI device that looks identical, except for no test and reset button. You have to look closely to tell the difference.
..and I just thought of that right after I posted.

You guys catch everything..!