New Electrical Sockets / Plugs UPS reporting blackouts

Old 04-30-06, 05:47 AM
New Electrical Sockets / Plugs UPS reporting blackouts

Hello,

I have just moved into a new house and had some additional power points installed for all my PC equipment. Since this was down, my UPS has reported 4 brief blackouts (lasting under 20 seconds each). Does this mean they have done a dodgy wiring job?? The fuse/circuit breaker is in fine (not blowing) and nothing else in the house seems to be switching off / losing times (i.e. VCR, Oven clocks, etc).

If they have done something wrong, what could it be???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 06:04 AM
I doubt very much that anything was done wrong. Instead I suspect that the UPS devices are sensing a brownout (lower voltage). This could be caused by a something else in the house coming on, such as an air conditioner compressor, or a refrigerator or a sump pump, or it could be because of your neighbors (on the same transformer) using a lot of power. Do you notice your lights dimming at a ny point in time?

Does your UP tell you the time that these events occurred? Try to determine if the time reported coincides with something else happening that you know uses power.

Old 04-30-06, 06:17 AM
Good Morning Bob, Thank you for the reply. I know they installed a junction box up in the roof. From the junction box I think there are 4-double power sockets.

One has a garage door opener, which is never used.
The second has a fridge, freezer (which are both on 24/7) and a washing machine & dryer (obviously not always used) plus I think they wired the security system to the junction as well. And obviously my PC's & UPS. I have not been here at the time so am not sure about the lights dimming. I have an APC UPS which also reports over voltage & under voltage, so thought a brownout? Would show up under this?

Thank you very much for your help.

Brad

Old 04-30-06, 06:33 AM
Brad, where do you live? How many circuits are involved here? If they put anything on the circuit with thr washer and dryer and if you are in the US then what they did is wrong.

As for the rest of your items, I would hope that they used four circuits for these four loads. If they used anything less than four circuits then you don't have a good setup and should consider having them come back and change things.

Old 04-30-06, 06:40 AM
Hi Bob, I live in New Zealand. In my fuse box / circuit breaker / switch board (Sorry, I am too sure what you call it) I have 10 switches / fuses / circuits in total 12 if you include the master switch. I know when they were working in the garage (converted to my office) they only had to turn off / flick the one switch. They seemed to think each switch could handle up to 10 Amps?????

Old 04-30-06, 10:10 AM
Does your UPS have logging ability. It could be a loose connection giving low voltage or it be the power line giving an over voltage. In Canada our power can at times go to 130 volts. Some UPSs will detect this as a problem and switch to battery.

Old 04-30-06, 10:50 AM
I am not familiar with New Zealand, so I cannot tell you what is code there or what normally is done.

A ten amp fuse or breaker may very well be proper for this circuit.

I would investigate what capabilities the UPS has, to see if you can learn anything about these power problems from it.

Old 05-01-06, 01:35 PM
Put a voltmeter on the AC line where the UPS is connected.

Then have an assistant lower the thermostats on the fridge & freezer in different combinations. See how much the voltage drops when the motors start, and if the UPS reports an alarm.

For example I used to work with a UPS that would go into alarm every time an elevator motor started while the loads were on the emergency generator for testing once a week. The drop was something like 3 volts.