running wire

Old 04-30-06, 09:21 PM
running wire

I am running electrical wires to two separate window unit air conditioners in my house. The air conditioners are 12 amps @ 220 volts. The question is I will run this type of wire to the units 2 wire plus ground @ 14 gauges. I am going to run the wire outside along the house and conceal it in conduit from where the receptacle is to the circuit breaker box. Does this sound right and also I don't need underground rated wire for this sense the wire isn't underground and is concealed in conduit. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 04:42 AM
You need waterproof wire for use outside, even if contained in conduit. If you are using a short piece of conduit just for protection of the wires then you could get away with UF wire in the conduit, or really for the entire run. If this is a long run outside in conduit then I would consider using THWN wires in the conduit.

Best of all, of course is to run the wire in the house and not have to worry about outside or conduit at all.

As for the wire or cable you use. My advice is to not use 14 gage, but rather up-size to at least 12 gage, or even perhaps 10 gage if the run is long. While you are correct that 14 gage can handle the 12 amps, the air conditioner will run better on the larger wire and the larger size may be just right when this air conditioner is eventually replaced.

Old 05-02-06, 09:11 PM
Ok got it I will increase the size to 12 gauge. Here is how the wiring goes. I think whoever who put this in before might have made a mistake. The electricity comes in from the main powerline to the main electrical panel. Hooked up to the main electical panel is a 6 gauge wire that goes into a secondary electrical panel. This secondary electrical panel serves the section of the house built on after construction. There is no main circuit breaker for the secondary panel to protect the 6 gauge wire from overheating. Mayby it doesn't matter. Currently there is 4 15 amp circuit breakers @ 120 volts and 4 20 amps circuit breakers at @ 220 volts. The latter 220 volt circuit breakers are for 4 electrical heaters that are installed in that additional section of the house. The heaters are 13 amps each @ 220 volts, and the 4 15 amp circuit breakers @ 110 volts serve light fixtures and electrical outlets over on that section. There is a good amount of light fixtures on that section that probably tally to a good 8 amps or so.

I plan on installing 2 more 20 amp doublepole circuit breakers for the 2 air conditioners in this secondary panel. I figure the heaters should never be on when the air conditioners are going. What do you'll think about this. Thanks

Old 05-03-06, 01:15 AM
> Hooked up to the main electical panel is a 6 gauge wire that
> goes into a secondary electrical panel. ...
> There is no main circuit breaker for the secondary panel to protect
> the 6 gauge wire from overheating. Mayby it doesn't matter.
It matters.

> What do you'll think about this.
The #6 ungrounded conductors must be on a breaker in the main panel.

Old 05-03-06, 12:38 PM
Ok it matters. I suppose the installation of those 2 20 amp double pole circuit breakers for the air conditioners in the second panel will be exceptable. Thanks for helping.

Old 05-03-06, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by willl
I figure the heaters should never be on when the air conditioners are going. What do you'll think about this.
Your thinking is correct. When calculating the load in a panel you consider the larger of the heating or air conditioning, but not both. The two loads shouldn't be on at the same time.