FYI: Having my service upgraded

Old 05-01-06, 06:32 AM
FYI: Having my service upgraded

Hello all.

This thread is to serve more on an informational use.

I just recently bought a house built in 1905 with some K&T and some cloth and some romex wire throughout. All on a 60A fuse panel.

At the time there was a bunch of threads here regarding the cost of upgrades and whatever.

I live in the Allentown/ Lehigh Valley, PA area (20 minutes form NJ)

I am paying 1800.00 for the upgrade. I got three bid and I went with the highest offer simply cause they came highly recommended.

I am glad I did. They are contracted to run new service outside and to the inside and install a new Square D QO 200A box plus permits and inspections and anything needed for inspection.

I have gotten that, PLUS, they have gotten rid of all exposed K&T and even removed any wiring that is just not being used (to avoid future confusion), Ran new wiring to my range (it was extremely unsafe, EXTREMELY) and new wiring to my hot water heater, added a front and rear receptacles each on its own breaker, added a light over my rear porch, ran 2 new circuits to my kitchen, 1 new circuit to each of my 2 bathrooms, added light switches to turn on an outlet in each bedroom, and added 5 new receptacles in my basement and before I have one light in my basement (which is old dirty and dark) and now I have 7 throughout that I can turn on.

Needless to say, I am very please with the service and I am glad I did not go with the cheapest guy, and to be honest we budgeted a certain amount for the electrical work and this came several hundred dollars under budget.

I know that folks are always trying to find numbers on work like this to get a feel for what it will cost them. So I figured I would post my story

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 07:10 AM
and a side note.

The range wiring was a 14/2 wire that came from the box (which there was no cover on the fuse box) and did not go through a knockout but just hung out and ran across the floor to the range location and then shot up through the basement floor to the range location. It was wired back to a 60A fuse I believe. Needless to say the wire was very melted and heated.

but it is now corrected

Old 05-01-06, 07:36 AM
It sounds like you did very well indeed. I'm glad everything has worked out. I suggest that you recommend this person/company when asked by others for recommendations and that you use them in the future for other projects.

You might also consider a letter to the company, especially if the people who did the work work for someone else. It never hurts to pat someone on the back when you are pleased with the work.

Old 05-01-06, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
It sounds like you did very well indeed. I'm glad everything has worked out. I suggest that you recommend this person/company when asked by others for recommendations and that you use them in the future for other projects.

You might also consider a letter to the company, especially if the people who did the work work for someone else. It never hurts to pat someone on the back when you are pleased with the work.
They are actually in business for themselves but none the less, they still deserve the pat on the back and they are still in the house tying up loose ends, I still thank them and let them know how please myu wife and I are.

As highly reccommended they have been referred to me is as hihgly reccommend I will do for others. Good work is tough to come by and excleeant work is even tougher. I hope these guys stay in business for a long time so I never need to look around for an electrician again

Old 05-01-06, 08:08 AM
I got three bid and I went with the highest offer simply cause they came highly recommended.
Smart move. Sometimes paying more up front will ensure that you pay less later on. It sounds like these guys are giving you your money's worth.

Old 05-01-06, 10:06 AM
I am looking for a contractor to do EXACTLY the same kind of upgrade at my house - a 125 year old "victorian farmhouse" just outside Chicago. Anybody have a good referral in this area?

Old 05-01-06, 04:21 PM
If you are that pleased and they are "little guys", maybe you should give them a little gift or some extra cash for a tip.

Old 05-02-06, 06:57 AM
I was thinking about something for them once everything is fully complete, but I am unsure on what. I can do money as it is the universal language, but I was also thinking about something that would be more easily remembered (in case I need to use them again in a few years, they will remember me)

Oh for those getting a service upgrade or any electrical work, here is a tip that I already knew:

Hire someone who you feel you can trust and do not need to follow around or be up their butt. There is no faster way to annoy any professional and you will never get any "extras" I unlocked my bilco doors and they call the night before and come over and do their thing. It has worked out great so far

KRXMAN - Dont you need to have someone who is in the union to do any work in Chicago? I wish you luck in your search, I am glad I can go with someone independant. My house is victorian as well 101 years old, but the farmhouses around here are way out of my budget

Old 05-02-06, 08:01 AM
I'm outside the city limits, but I think village ordinance still requires union contractors for electrical. But I'm more concerned with the character of a contractor than his union credentials. I'm looking for exactly what you said: someone I can trust to be competent and conscientious and who I don't have to second guess on everything.

Sounds like you found one.

Old 05-02-06, 08:10 AM
I have never heard of anyone being required to hire a union person for a private job. I have heard of requirements for someone to be licensed, but never for someone to be a member of a a union.

Old 05-02-06, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
I have never heard of anyone being required to hire a union person for a private job. I have heard of requirements for someone to be licensed, but never for someone to be a member of a a union.
I dont believe that a non union licensed electrician exists in Chicago.

Old 05-02-06, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Dim Bulb
I dont believe that a non union licensed electrician exists in Chicago.
This may be true, but is it by law or by practice?