Air Conditioner wiring

Old 05-01-06, 07:42 AM
Air Conditioner wiring

I bought a 12,000 BTU, 15A A/C unit for my mobile home. I can't plug it into it's own outlet because there is already a lot on that circuit. I want to run a new outlet to another outlet that is protected by a fuse. This is currently used for another smaller a/c. Would I be safe to "tap" into this outlet, and use only the new a/c. Also, I thought about just running a heavy gauge extension cord 50ft to the outlet, but that is not recommended. What's my best bet here?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 08:07 AM
Your best bet is to run a new circuit from the panel to the location where you plan to use this air conditioner. You probably need a 20 amp circuit.

Do not even think of using an extension cord. Extension cords are for temporary use only. Besides, a properly sized extension cord for 50 feet will cost you a pretty penny.

Old 05-01-06, 01:33 PM
Logistics problem

I would do that if I could. The problem is that the breaker box is in the trailer, and the a/c is on the added on lanai which floor level. So, I have no way of running the wire under the floor. My only bet would be to run it across the ceiling, not an option here. Why can't I just tap into the other outlet that is seperately fused and run conduit to another plug for only the a/c? The plug power comes from the main plug in for the trailer, and is protected by a 20A fuse.

Old 05-01-06, 02:06 PM
Of course you can do this. You just are unwilling, perhaps for a good reason, but it still can be done.

If there is nothing else on the circuit you are suggesting to use, then you could replace the receptacle with a blank cover and then extend the circuit.

However, you would have to make sure that you then don't create a code violation in regards to the now missing receptacle.

Old 05-02-06, 07:51 PM
Wire gauge

What gauge wire should I use? It's a 50' run.

Old 05-02-06, 08:59 PM
> What gauge wire should I use?
A 20A OCPD requires minimum 12 AWG conductors.

> It's a 50' run.
That isn't far. But if this is a long term investment, you could upsize to #10. On the one hand, the a/c will probably run many hours. On the other hand, the life expectancy of this circuit probably isn't high.