relocate meter


Old 05-01-06, 01:55 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
relocate meter

For aesthetic reasons, I'd like to relocate the service meter from one corner of my house to another. Is this possible without moving the service panel also? Who would do this - the utility company or an electrical contractor?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 02:05 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In most places this would be done by the homeowner, under contract with a contractor. The utility would move the overhead wires if necessary.

You probably cannot do this. There are rules about the distance between the meter and the panel. Unless the distance is short, you usually can't move one without moving the other.
Old 05-01-06, 04:22 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,115
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
You may also want to contact the power company. In my area they determine where the meter will be located.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: