Panel upgrade - need a new riser?


Old 05-01-06, 04:26 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
Panel upgrade - need a new riser?

Hi -

I'm shopping around for someone to upgrade the electrical panel in our house from 100 to 200 AMPs so we can install an air conditioner and run power to a garage in the future. The quote for replacing the panel is $1500-$1800, but the contractor also wants to put in a new riser for $700. Is that a normal part of the job? None of the other posts about replacing panels have mentioned it, so I just am not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 05:18 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,630
When the service is upgraded it is common for the wires that feed both the meter and from the meter into the panel are replaced with larger conductors.

If this riser is in pipe the pipe size may need to be increased to allow for the larger wires. If they are a cable you will have a larger cable installed.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes