too many wires?

Old 05-02-06, 04:43 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
too many wires?

I just changed a light switch that was in a gang box with a total of 6 switches. I noticed one hot comes in and then there is six hots off of the one coming in that goes off to the six switches feeding them with the hot feed. My question is, is it safe and to code to have a total of 7 wires including the original hot spiced together with a wire nut? Any info from prof in the field would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Old 05-02-06, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> is it safe and to code to have a total of 7 wires including the original
> hot spiced together with a wire nut?

7 wires in one nut is certainly pushing the limit.
The nut might not be listed to hold so many conductors.
If none of them can be pulled out, though, then it's probably safe.

The nut is listed to hold so many conductors of such a size.
You would need to know manufacturer, color, year of manufacture, and wire gauge to begin to determine whether it is listed to hold 7 conductors fo that size.

As for the number seven itself, there is nothing unsafe about it.
You add up your loads, check your wire gauge and your breaker size.

If they are within correct limits, then it would not matter if there are 14 switches running from the same circuit.
What counts for circuit loading is how much, not how many.

Old 05-02-06, 06:20 PM
B
Thanks for the reply, I knew it was not an issue with how much was being run I guess I was concerned with how much was being run under one wire nut so to speak. I saw in another part of my house that had 5 switches, it actually had one wire that ran to three switches (it had part of the insulation for each switch opened up and rapped around the terminal screw)

Old 05-02-06, 06:26 PM
There are a few wire nuts rated for 7 #14 wires but I'm not sure I've ever seen one rated for 7 #12s. Wouldn't use it that way if it was.

I try to limit the number of wires in a wire nut to 3 or 4 - I use a jumper between a couple of wirenuts if I need more wires connected.

Old 05-02-06, 06:58 PM
B
they are all 14-2 wire. You stated you would use a jumper, what is a jumper and how do I go about that. I would like to have it done correctly and safe.

Thanks

Old 05-02-06, 07:04 PM
R
What you have may very well be correct and safe. Or it may not.

A jumper is a short piece of insulated wire. It is also called a pigtail. It must be 14 gage (in this case). You use it to connect two wire nuts together, or like the ones you have already, to connect the wire nut to a switch.

Run your incoming hot wire into a wire nut. Add the jumper and two pigtails to two of the switches. The jumper feeds a second wire nut. In the second wire nut also place another jumper and two more pigtails for the third and fourth switch. The second jumper goes into a wire nut containing two pigtails for the final two switches. This assumes you have wire nuts that can safely hold four 14 gage wires.

Old 05-02-06, 07:17 PM
B
Ok that makes sense, basically it is the same concept of what I have now except rather that have the hot and then all the jumpers going to each switch which puts seven on one wire nut you are saying I should split it up a bit if I want to go that rate?

Could I also just go to the store and buy a wire nut that properly holds 7 14-2 wires safely instead of splitting them up? Also the neutral has wires under one wire nut as well.

again thanks for all the great insight, I def feel a little bit more at ease now.

Old 05-02-06, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> you are saying I should split it up a bit if I want to go that rate?

I think we all agree that in practice we put no more than four under one nut. No installation ever requires more than three.
More than four can be a pain to get grouped together correctly.

> Could I also just go to the store and buy a wire nut that
> properly holds 7 14-2 wires
There is no such thing as 14-2 wires.
You have seven of 14 AWG insulated conductors, or succinctly, seven #14 wires.

> safely instead of splitting them up?
Maybe. But it's a lot easier to split them up 4, 3, and 3.

> Also the neutral has wires under one wire nut as well.
Same story. they can be split up 4, 3, and 3, or maybe 5 and 4.

Old 05-03-06, 03:05 AM
B
thanks guys, I appreciate your prof responses. I am gonna go with your feedback and split them up and then pig tail them to each switch.

Brian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: