Coaxial Cable and Telephone Wire.

Old 05-03-06, 06:00 AM
Coaxial Cable and Telephone Wire.

I have finished wiring my basement for electrical and just need to add my cable and telephone wires. I have a couple questions and a small dilema. My first question is what is the best way to run coaxial cable. I have seen it mentioned before that running parallel to electrical wire can cause interference. I was not sure if this was true or just a wives tale. Also how should the telephone wire run. Is there a interference issue with telephone wire and while I am at it what about interference issues with speaker wire. I realize these are broad questions, but I would like to have a good understanding before I run the wires. My small dilema has to do with the telephone wire. Me and my wife currently have only cell phones. In fact since our house was built we have never even had the telephone wires upstairs hooked up. I was just curious people's opinions on the future of telephones. Is it worth it to run telephone wire if I never plan on using it. I just have a feeling that in about ten more years it could be a dead technology, because of the availability of cell phones. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 06:20 AM
Keep your low voltage wires (telephone, data, coax, etc.) at least one foot from your electrical wires. Cross them only when necessary and only at right angles.

Run telephone wires. While the future is certainly that less and less people will have land line "fixed" telephones, people will still have them. Further, telephone lines are one way to bring high speed Internet into houses.

However, instead of running telephone wires (old fashioned four wire cable), I recommend that you run cat 5e cables, and at least two to each location. Cat 5e will support regular telephones, as well as network. If you run all cat 5e lines in your house and if you terminate them in one central location, you will have the most flexibility.

Old 05-03-06, 10:15 AM
Instead of running the LV cable you may never need, you can also run ENT, aka smurf tube, aka Flex Plus Blue which is a plastic corrugated conduit that you usually see in 10' lengths at the Big Box. It's also available in 100' and longer rolls from supply houses and probably online.

If I need RG-6, I will pull that. If I need Cat 5+, I run that. Fiber? Ready.

I've got over 200' of yellow 3/4" trade size in my house to all the low-voltage outlets. I trunk the cables in 3", 2" and 1-1/2" grey PVC from my backboard in the basement to 8x8 or 10x10 j-boxes located throughout the house then run the ENT from there to the outlets. http://www.carlon.com/sd-cgi/hsrun.h...logObjectId=70

Old 05-03-06, 09:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by burk7030
I have finished wiring my basement for electrical and just need to add my cable and telephone wires. I have a couple questions and a small dilema. My first question is what is the best way to run coaxial cable. I have seen it mentioned before that running parallel to electrical wire can cause interference. I was not sure if this was true or just a wives tale. Also how should the telephone wire run. Is there a interference issue with telephone wire and while I am at it what about interference issues with speaker wire. I realize these are broad questions, but I would like to have a good understanding before I run the wires. My small dilema has to do with the telephone wire. Me and my wife currently have only cell phones. In fact since our house was built we have never even had the telephone wires upstairs hooked up. I was just curious people's opinions on the future of telephones. Is it worth it to run telephone wire if I never plan on using it. I just have a feeling that in about ten more years it could be a dead technology, because of the availability of cell phones. Thanks for your time.

OFF TOPIC (a little). I try to explain this to my 20 yr old son.

Most people have NO IDEA how many wires go into WIRELESS,
I'm in the business and am forever amazed!!!!!!

But for the land line rates....... I have the BARE miniums. Wireless is a good value.

Old 05-05-06, 11:42 PM
run the cat 5 - you can also use it for audio distribution, and it's much better quality than wireless has yet to provide.