New Telephone Installation

Old 05-02-06, 02:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New Telephone Installation

First off, let me apologize in advance, in case this thread was answered somewhere else. I have read all related posts on this forum for telephone wiring, but mine seems to be a little tricky.

I recently purchased a house where the builder did all the inside wiring as per specs but did not install the telephone wire (which comes from AT&T) to the junction box. I called AT&T and a repairman came in to my house and finally got my new telephone connected from the street utility box. He tested the same inside my house (in the garage) on the junction box with his temp telephone. When I told him that my phone was not working, he said that the actual wiring in the house is not AT&T’s problem. If I wanted to get him to do it, I would have to pay $125.00 to AT&T!

He was courteous enough to point out that the wire coming from AT&T (which is a blue coaxial wire in my case) needed to be connected to the two connectors in the junction box.

He said when I strip the blue coaxial wire, I will see the following:

Pair one: A white wire with a bit of blue every so often and a blue wire with a bit of white every so often. Referred to as the white/blue pair.

Pair two: A white wire with a bit of orange every so often and an orange wire with a bit of white every so often. Referred to as the white/orange pair.

Pair three: Same with green

Pair four: Same with brown,

Pair five: Same with slate (gray)

Pair six: A red wire with a bit of blue every so often and a blue wire with a bit of red every so often. Referred to as the red/blue pair.

He asked me to connect the "white-with-some-blue" to the screw with green and the "blue-with-some-white" to the screw with red. This is for line one.

He also said to connect the "white-with-some-orange" to the screw with black and the "orange-with-some-white" to the screw with yellow. This is for line two.

Since I have only one telephone line, he asked me to strip the “white/blue pair” and wrap them around the screws.

My questions are:

- Are the above statements correct?
- Can I screw this up somehow?
- If I do screw up, can this be reversed?
- What would be the extent of damage, if I do screw up?

Could someone please answer my dilemma or point me to a link where I can get an answer to this?

Thanks,

VJ

Old 05-02-06, 03:20 PM
R
Your incoming phone line is on the blue twisted pair.

Your house wiring apparently has a green and red wire, and probably two others as well.

Connect the incoming blue phone wire to the red and green wires as directed.

Old 05-02-06, 03:30 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
What he said makes sense. Yes, you could screw this up, but not if you pay attention to what you are doing. You probably won't cause damage if you do make a mistake; your phones just won't work. If this happens, simply doucle check your connections.
While working with telephone wiring is generally safe, be aware that you can receive a nasty (trust me) shock should someone dial your line while you are touching a bare wire. Unplug the cord from the Network Interface before doing this work to be safe.
Good luck

Old 05-02-06, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The Voice and Data communication form gave me excellent help with a redo of my entire phone system
http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Old 05-03-06, 08:53 AM
Thumbs up Thanks!

All,

Thanks a bunch for your comments/recommendations. I plan to execute this on Saturday. Wish me luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: