138 kv underground lines

Old 05-03-06, 08:33 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
138 kv underground lines

Not exactly a DIY issue, I am just looking for a resource or pointer.

I was out on a bike ride earlier (beautiful day today) and ran across a spot where one of the overhead 138KV lines goes underground to feed my local substation. I was doing a little googling and found out about this HPGF/HPFF cable http://www.okonite.com/paper-cable.html and a story about installation of such a line underwater and so on.

But I am more interested in how this operates, which I couldn't find any info about. For example presumably there's a compressor-chiller station at the substation and it pushes chilled gas or liquid through the cable - but what happens at the far end? Is there a refrigerant loop in the cable or what? What kind of tonnage is required?

There's just a box about 2x2 feet in the overhead terminus where the UG cable comes up, but there is a large building at the substation that has fans and noise beyond the usual substation hum.

Thanks for any info or pointers.

Old 05-03-06, 08:41 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the cooling is thru Nitrogen, and the fans are cooling the transformers.

Old 05-04-06, 07:22 AM
jingram_CA
Visiting Guest
The buried cables are pressurised with gas or liquid ( oil). Both ends of the cable have pressure sensors on them. When the cable pressure drops, it generates an alarm so that the electrical company knows that there is a problem with the cable. A slow pressure drop indicates that there is corrosion in the cable and that the insulated value of the cable is no longer good and need to be fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: