QUestion on connecting swimming pool equipment...

Old 05-05-06, 06:13 AM
Lightbulb QUestion on connecting swimming pool equipment...

Hi guys, my first post in the forum , Im getting a new gunite pool and some electrical work is required to get the pool equipment connected and running. I got an estimate of $975.00 for:
Installing 50A breaker from existing outside box.
Run 8/3 WG from outside box thru attic and to the other side of the house.
Install Intermatic panel.
WIre pool and polaris pump and salt water device.
8 ft ground rod and ground both pumps.
Install switch for pool light on panel.

By the way this is in Alabama. I have a extensive backgroun in Electronics and done some minor electrical work around the house....Three questions:
Should I tackle this by myself and save some money??
What are some issues or critical areas I should be prepared for If I do the installation myself??
Is the estimate within normal parameters for this kind of job???

thanks and sorry about the long email.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-06, 06:54 AM
Ther price, for a proper installation, sounds fine.

The installation proposed, however, does not sound fine.

Pumps are not generally grounded. The pumps must be bonded to the pool and to any metal, but no ground rods are generally installed.

Pools have very strict rules and regulations. They are not a good first job for a do-it-yourselfer.

I recommend getting two more estimates. Require that the job pass inspection. Pay attention to what the other quotes specify for grounding and/or bonding.

Some other comments.

GFCI protection is required. I see no mention of GFCI in your first post.
While 8/3 is okay inside the house, individual conductors and consuit are needed outside the house. The ground wire must be in sulated in the conduit.

Old 05-05-06, 07:37 AM
Thanks for info, I will definetely get another estimate, is just they normally charge 50.00 $ for estimates , but you are right safety first, especially when it comes to the family. Please clarify something for me, for future reference. Whe it comes to "bonding".....you think thats what they are reffering to in the estimate by stating: "Drive a 8ft ground rod and ground both pumps"...Is it bonding done by earthing metallic surfaces in case of a short in the electrical system??? Im not questioning you.... just want to get this clear for my next estimate. Oh, also explain what the GFI portion consists of....

thanks man

Old 05-05-06, 07:48 AM
Do not use a contractor who charges for an estimate.

No, they are talking about grounding the oumps. This is wrong. They need to be bonded. Bonding is connecting all the metal objects together so they are at the same potential. The pumps will be bonded via the ground wire in the conduit.

Old 05-05-06, 07:52 AM
Thanks man, appreciate the asisstance...

Old 05-05-06, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by amolao
Please clarify something for me, for future reference. Whe it comes to "bonding".....you think thats what they are reffering to in the estimate by stating: "Drive a 8ft ground rod and ground both pumps"...Is it bonding done by earthing metallic surfaces in case of a short in the electrical system???
No, driving a rod is clearly grounding. Bonding is at it's most basic level connecting all metal materials together with a wire. The purpose of bonding is to prevent any metal surfaces from becoming electrically charged if a hot wire accidentally contacts metal.

Oh, also explain what the GFI portion consists of....
GFI or GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor. It comes in either a breaker or receptacle format and includes circuitry to detect stray electrical current and disconnect the power before someone gets electrocuted. GFCI protection is required for pool pumps as stray current in the water would be a serious hazard.

One more thing. Contractors who charge for estimates are shady. They will intentionally give you a high estimate so they don't have to any work; they already got $50 for basically doing nothing. Some make an entire business out of selling estimates.

Old 05-05-06, 08:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would be very suspect of any electrician who intends to install a ground rod at a pool for bonding. The code is VERY clear that this is neither required NOR appropriate.

A ground rod is required at a remote (detached structure) sub-panel but NOT for bonding motors, equipment, and metallic parts.

Also, simply sinking a ground rod DOES NOT provide a ground.