Outlet cannot be breakered off.

Old 05-07-06, 01:57 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outlet cannot be breakered off.

I have a bedroom wall outlet, which I tried to breaker off. I tried each breaker, one at a time, but the outlet stayed on. Does this mean that I have a defective breaker, or could something else be the cause?

Old 05-07-06, 02:39 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It could have been accidentally wired to two circuit breakers.

Try turning all circuit breakers off and one-by-one turning a single breaker on to see if more than one breaker powers the outlet. You will have to turn on one breaker, test the outlet, turn off the breaker and then try another breaker in the same manner. Only have one breaker on at any time.

If this is indeed the case you need to fix it pronto. While you are at it make sure that there are no other lights or receptacles that are also connected to these circuits.

Old 05-07-06, 06:59 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just to make sure, what are you using to test that the outlet is still on? Sometimes, those "tic tracers" (non-contact voltage testers) will false alarm, even after power has been turned off. Best to use a wiggy-type or a lamp.

Old 05-13-06, 10:01 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It is possible to have a bad breaker as well. turn off each breaker and use a wiggy or similar tester to check if the breaker is actually off.

Old 05-14-06, 12:38 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Years ago I was mapping out the circuit breakers in my just purchased house. Since I was alone, I used a radio to check for power. The very first receptacle was always hot, so was the second. Hmmm, I guess I should take the batteries out of the radio. How bout that.

Old 05-14-06, 12:54 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by simp6216
Years ago I was mapping out the circuit breakers in my just purchased house. Since I was alone, I used a radio to check for power. The very first receptacle was always hot, so was the second. Hmmm, I guess I should take the batteries out of the radio. How bout that.
Hilarious. Just feel confident that you are not the first or only one to do that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: