light won't shut off w/switch! please help!

Old 05-07-06, 02:43 PM
light won't shut off w/switch! please help!

i changed a ceiling fan to a light fixture. after re-wiring it and then putting the fuse back in, the light worked, but the light switch does not shot off the light. i have since replaced the light swtich and the light switch still does not shut off or on the light. i do not know what to do, there are 2 white wires together, 3 black wires together (one of the wires was recently added to see if it would help the problem but nothing changed), 1 green/yellow wire together w/ a copper (ground wire), and probably another wire of some kind pushed up into the ceiling that i didn't touch. at any rate, currently the light won't shut off. please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-06, 04:24 PM
how did the old fan work before use the pull chain ?? for both light and fan ??

if so then this will be a little tricky here

you have 2 white wires ,,,

ok that netural wire and use the lumiaire netural and tie it together

you have 3 black wires,,

ok this part becarefull because this will be a tricky part before you mess around look for the extra wire that go to the switch box you may see a extra wire hanging loose in the box.

if you have voltage tester that great but before you start this make sure you kill or turn off breaker before you start working on this one.

what you will do is next is find the switch and look at the numbers of wire[s] on the switch itself if you see black and white wire only that is the switch loop but if other color please post it back here we will try to guide you thru this mess

Merci , Marc

Old 05-07-06, 06:54 PM
Why didn't you just wire it the EXACT same way as the old one?

What you probably have is the hot power cable going to the box above the fixture. You probably also have a cable going from that box to the switch. You then might have another cable that goes to another outlet. The hot cable needs its black to be tied to the black of any power cables leaving, AND TO THE WHITE of the cable going to the switch. ALL OTHER whites are tied together. Then, the black from the switch ties to the black of the fixture. All grounds are together.

Old 05-07-06, 07:49 PM
light won't shut off....

so, i wasn't responsible for the initial installment of the new light. i had someone else do it. i assume they did it the same, however they were confused by the extra black wire and where it came from/what it was for. when they finished and we re-installed the fuse, the light was on, we were happy, they left, i went to shut the light off, it wouldn't shut off. we tried the new light switch, didn't work, tried adding the black 3rd/extra wire to the 2 other blacks, hasn't worked. how do you know which is to the switch and which is the hot one? the fan was operated before by a pull chain, the light was operated by a switch.

Old 05-07-06, 08:31 PM
the fan was operated before by a pull chain, the light was operated by a switch.
Bingo ,,

ok here what you have to do this is if that person whom did work on your ceiling lumiaire call that person back and get the volt meter and you will find a extra wire useally red but can be black or remarked white that is the switch loop so that is the extra wire located

the only sure fire way you have to is pull the black wire apart and use the voltage tester to verify the connection but before you do this look for unused extra wire first this will genrally be a switched circuit so try that first if dont then we will go step by step ok

Merci , Marc

Old 05-07-06, 09:00 PM
so, once i figure out which is the switch wire, and i need a volt meter for that, then i do what? attach that to the blacks or to the whites? or leave it alone? should i have 3 blacks connected? i do right now and that didn't do the trick. there is a green/yellow wire connected to the white as before, the 2 whites are connected as before, and the 2 blacks were connected as before, but there was an extra wire, the black one. what happens when i figure out the extra wire?

Old 05-07-06, 09:00 PM
There are two colored (not white or bare/green) wires from the fan, right? Usually a black and a blue? The black to go to the wire that is always hot and the blue would go to the black that is coming back from the switch.

Old 05-07-06, 09:15 PM
the only colored wires coming from the ceiling are black, white, and copper. the wires coming from the light fixture are green/yellow (currently attached to the ground), white (attached to a white) and black (attached to black), there is an extra black wire that has white paint on it. there are a couple of wires shoved way back into the ceiling that we didn't touch that are white, black and copper. but they haven't been touched during the installation.

currently the solid blacks are connected, the solid whites are connected and the green/white is connected to the copper.

i just found the blue wire. it is currently connected to a black wire. where should that be connected or unconnected?

Old 05-07-06, 09:22 PM
i just connected the blue wire to the black wire coming from the switch. is this right? there is now an extra black wire from the light fixture that has nothing to connect to. what should it be connected to?

Old 05-07-06, 09:33 PM
You have a black, a painted black, and a blue coming from the fixture? Three colored wires, not counting the white and green?

Old 05-07-06, 09:57 PM
i have a blue and a black wire painted white (sort of) coming out of the ceiling along with a white and a copper. there is a black, white and green/yellow coming out of the light fixture to be connected to the ceiling wires. i just connected the blue and the black wire (painted a little white) that are both up in the ceiling (the black is coming from the switch side. the other wires are connected :green/yellow and copper, white to white, and the black has no connector b/c i connected the blue to the black in the ceiling.
so if i were to undo all the wires there would be..............

ceiling wires: copper, white, blue, black w/some white paint

light fixture: green/yellow, white, black

Old 05-08-06, 04:25 AM
The white wires from the ceiling should be your neutral. The black wire and the blue wire should be your switched hot and your always hot. You will have to figure out which is which.

Either use a tester to figure out which pair (blue-white or black-white) is switched power, or use the light you are installing.

Old 05-08-06, 04:45 PM
i should connect the blue wire from the ceiling to the white neutral and if that doesn't work, connect the black wire from the ceiling to the white and see if that works?

then, should what should i connect the black wire in the light fixture to?

Old 05-08-06, 05:37 PM
The white from the ceiling gets connected to the white of the light.

Then either the black from the ceiling or the blue from the ceiling gets connected to the black from the light.

Old 05-08-06, 07:14 PM
up and running great! thanks so much!!!