How many wires can be in 1 1/4" PVC ?

Old 05-08-06, 06:46 PM
How many wires can be in 1 1/4" PVC ?

Can anyone tell me how many wires can be inside 1 1/4" PVC conduit ? These are #6 gauge wires. Right now I have two hots and one neutral. I want to add a ground wire. I have a 60 amp sub-panel 200 feet away from my house in a METAL pole building. There is a grounding electrode at the sub-panel. I was told I should add a 4th wire for grounding back to my main panel. ( 200 AMP square D panel ). Does this ground wire need to be #6 or can I use #8 instead ? Thanks for your help. Tony.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-06, 08:25 PM
Missing a little info, like what kind of conduit (schecule 40 or schedule 80) and what kind of wire (TWN, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW), to be definite about what the exact number of wires can be. However, you can add the #8 or #6 you need with no issues.

You may use either a #8 or a #6 (actually, a #10 would be sufficient) for your purposes. The neutral and ground busses must be separated in the sub-panel.

I would add that unless you have another metallic connection between the house and pole barn, like a water pipe or phone line, the extra ground is unnecessary.