Installing a 3-Way circuit?

Old 05-09-06, 10:38 AM
Installing a 3-Way circuit?

I have a wall switch in the basement that turns on a few backyard lights & I want to replace it with a 3-way switch & run a line upstairs so that I can turn these lights on/off from either location. I have done some basic wiring (replacing outlets, dimmer, & run a few 15 amp lines so I have a basic understanding & healthy respect for electricity, but 3-way circuits confuse me. Can anyone provide fairly simple specific instructions on what I need & how to make the connections at the new 3-way switches? (It's just a 15 amp line with 14-2 gauge wire that operates (4) 100 watt lights in the backyard......
Right now I have the white & ground wires (14-2) running from the breaker box directly to the lights & the black wire running to a single pole wall switch & then to the lights) I already bought 2 3-way switches but I assume I'll need 14-3 wire???......& which color wire was to what terminal??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-06, 10:45 AM
Any decent book on home wiring will explain this to you. If you are doing home wiring, you should have a book.

Run 14-3 from the existing switch to the new switch.

At the existing switch box:

Remove the two way switch. Connect the black always hot wire to the white wire of the 14-3 (re-identify the white wire as hot). Connect the black light wire to the common of the three way switch. Connect the red and black of the 14-3 to the traveler screws of the three way switch.

At the new switch connect the white wire (re-identified as hot) to the common of the three way switch. Connect the red and black to the traveler screws of the three way switch.

Connect all grounds as appropriate.

Old 05-09-06, 03:04 PM
Run a new 14/3 cable from the existing switch to the new switch location.
At the existing switch remove the two wires from the switch LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME. DON'T CHANGE ANY OTHER WIRE CONNECTIONS.

Take one of the wire and connect it to the black wire you just installed to the new switch.
Take the other wire and connect it to the common screw(black one) on the new three way switch.
Connect the remaining two wires (red and white) from you new cable to the remaining two screws on your new switch.

At the new switch location connect the black wire to the common screw and the red and white to the remaining screws.