garage wireing not up to code

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-06, 03:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation garage wireing not up to code

I don't know if anyone know the codes of warren michigan but the power wire that goes into the garage is above ground. it a yellow wire with 3 wires in it BLACK,WHITE,GREEN it runs from the back porch light(thats were it is geting power from) the wire leads from the light to what looks to be a old work light like the kind you hang from the car to see under the hood theres a wire pluged into it that gives power to the 2 electric outlets in the garage and once in a while the wire will come lose and the garage goes black i can also cut the power to the garage with a light switch this wireing is so out dated and this is in a rental home the inspecter said somthing about it once i think but nothing was everdone is this allowed anymore or was this a last minute wireing job done at the last mintue the garage is what is called a unfinshed garage (no drywall just studs) is this leagal or not and is it safe or should it be reported and if so who do i call.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 04:52 AM
First off, it would be to your benefit to punctuate and use some caps in your post. The way it is written it is very hard to read and comprehend.

From what I read it sounds like a mess. Things like "a yellow wire with black,white and green", "a old work light like the kind you hang from the car to see under the hood" and "theres a wire pluged into it that gives power to the 2 electric outlets in the garage"!
The last one scares me most.

Is this a rental you own?
Or are you the renter?

If it is yours, call a licansed electrician as soon as you can and get this mess fixed. From here I cannot say if this is something you can do yourself, but the way it sounds I highly doubt it.

If you are renting you can do NOTHING, except call your landlord. You are NOT permitted by law to do ANY work like this on a house you are renting.

Old 05-10-06, 08:15 AM
It sounds like your garage is fed from an extension cord that has been hardwired into a light fixture. Your first step should be to verify from your local building official that the wiring is indeed a violation.

If it is a violation inform your landlord of the situation in writing. Tell him that you consider the situation unsafe and request that he have the wiring problem corrected. Give him a reasonable time to get it fixed. IMO a reasonable time would be a rental period.
If the landlord refuses to correct the problem you should contact whatever local government authority that oversees housing in your area.

Old 05-12-06, 01:56 PM
heres what it looks like

Heres what the problem looks like you tell me if this is bad

http://www.coolimagehosting.com/uploads/9f073338da.jpg

http://www.coolimagehosting.com/uploads/0f65591a52.jpg

http://www.coolimagehosting.com/uploads/4d89c38119.jpg

The first pic shows the wire coming from the porch light (thats where it is getting power from) the 2nd pic shows the way i had to prop up the wire so I would not get hanged on it and the 3rd pic shows the worklight that is giving power to the electrical outlet the black plug that is pluged into it is what is running the 2 outlets if i unplug that the garage goes black this can not be safe

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
First off, it would be to your benefit to punctuate and use some caps in your post. The way it is written it is very hard to read and comprehend.

From what I read it sounds like a mess. Things like "a yellow wire with black,white and green", "a old work light like the kind you hang from the car to see under the hood" and "theres a wire pluged into it that gives power to the 2 electric outlets in the garage"!
The last one scares me most.

Is this a rental you own?
Or are you the renter?

If it is yours, call a licansed electrician as soon as you can and get this mess fixed. From here I cannot say if this is something you can do yourself, but the way it sounds I highly doubt it.

If you are renting you can do NOTHING, except call your landlord. You are NOT permitted by law to do ANY work like this on a house you are renting.

Old 05-12-06, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
That is very wrong. An extension cord is used as permanent wiring, supported with an actual stick of all things! There is no doubt that that unsafe wiring should be removed ASAP.

Old 05-12-06, 03:03 PM
i'll tell the inspecter

Originally Posted by ibpooks
That is very wrong. An extension cord is used as permanent wiring, supported with an actual stick of all things! There is no doubt that that unsafe wiring should be removed ASAP.
well the first time we had an inspection the inspecter said somthing about it no we have a differnt inspecter and he has not said anything about it the city sends the inspecters out I don't who do i call

Old 05-12-06, 03:38 PM
You never told us if you are the owner or a renter.

Old 05-12-06, 05:09 PM
we are renting

Renting. the landlord was told about this problem a LONG time ago we've lived here for about 15 years so thats how long the problem has been around he was told that the wire had to be put underground but he did not have the money at the time the inspecter who comes out know as said nothing about the problem he rights things up but does not inform the landlord or the landlord forgets (hes not all together there he forgets alot his wife said you have got to remind him over and over again)
hes a good landlord he has a LOT of houses so what do i do call the city and complan about the wireing or what.

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
You never told us if you are the owner or a renter.

Old 05-12-06, 05:19 PM
Give your landlord one more chance. Tell him you will call your lawyer if he doesn't act, and give him a reasonable deadline.

Then, call your lawyer. What you have is a fire hazard and a life safety hazard. Your lawyer will take it from there.

Old 05-12-06, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
we've lived here for about 15 years so thats how long the problem has been around he was told that the wire had to be put underground but he did not have the money at the time
Bull!

hes a good landlord he has a LOT of houses
This sentence cancels out the no money part! A "good" landlord with a lot of houses HAS the money to fix these things and DOES get them fixed.

Old 05-12-06, 05:52 PM
call the fire marshel

what if i call the fire marshel what would he do about it

Originally Posted by racraft
Give your landlord one more chance. Tell him you will call your lawyer if he doesn't act, and give him a reasonable deadline.

Then, call your lawyer. What you have is a fire hazard and a life safety hazard. Your lawyer will take it from there.

Old 05-12-06, 05:55 PM
Codes enforcement is the department that usually handles code issues.

However, you will have much better luck if you tell your lawyer to handle it, which you should have done 15 years ago.

Old 05-12-06, 08:18 PM
QUOI ???? 15 years that way too long a good landlord will have this fixed a long time ago.

I nearly fell off the chair when i was reading this fourm and look at the photo of it after all for many years i run my own bussiness [ i am master electrician both USA and France ] and this is a 15 years excuse along the way.

I will suggest either get a lawyer or building dept and get on this case if they dont do anything just move out of that apartment maybe the landlord will get his attetion there once.

Merci, Marc

Old 05-12-06, 09:55 PM
no one has said anything

first this is a ranch brick house that we are renting not an apt. second only one inspecter said somthing and he has not been back since we have had a differnt inspecter since than this guy as not said anything about it the landlord does not send the inspecters out the city does he writes things up but i don't think he reports them who do i get ahold of for this problem besides a lawer so i call the fire department and set up a free inspection and let them deal with the landlord.

Originally Posted by french277V
QUOI ???? 15 years that way too long a good landlord will have this fixed a long time ago.

I nearly fell off the chair when i was reading this fourm and look at the photo of it after all for many years i run my own bussiness [ i am master electrician both USA and France ] and this is a 15 years excuse along the way.

I will suggest either get a lawyer or building dept and get on this case if they dont do anything just move out of that apartment maybe the landlord will get his attetion there once.

Merci, Marc

Old 05-13-06, 05:19 AM
You will get the fastest and best response by calling a lawyer. Why are you so opposed to this?

Old 05-13-06, 07:21 AM
no money

cause we don't have the money if i can get him in trouble by an inspection than i don't have to pay any money out the fire mashel would have a heart attack if he sees the way it is wired if the code enforcment handles this where do i look in the phone book.

Originally Posted by racraft
You will get the fastest and best response by calling a lawyer. Why are you so opposed to this?

Old 05-13-06, 08:12 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
OK, but lets be "real" about this. If he makes trouble for the property owner the owner may very well get mad. First of course the owner if he has half a brain will just remove the dangerous wiring and not fix it. (I doubt a detached garage is required to have electric service but I could be wrong.)

Next if the tenant is on a month to month lease the owner will decline to renew it for the next month. If on a longer lease he will find a way to terminate it as soon as possible.

If he did have money for a lawyer it would be better spent on moving since if he sicks lawyers on the owner that is what he will be doing any way.

Instead of suggestions to get him in trouble with the owner perhaps suggestions to help him that apply to the real world. Ask the owner for signed written permission to disconnect the dangerous wiring. The poster with guidance from this forum should be able to do that or for a reasonable price hire an electrician to do it.

If he wants only occasional electric service in the garage he can use an extension cord of proper size disconnecting it when not in use. If a more permanent solution is needed then he can negotiate with the owner to arrange and pay for an electrician himself with a discount on the rent for one month to pay for it. If the owner refuses then consider moving or just biting the bullet and paying himself for it (of course first getting written, signed permission).

Edit: Even with the owners permission from a legal standpoint even the simple disconnect of the wire I suggested should be done only by a licensed electrician.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-13-06 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-13-06, 08:53 AM
cause we don't have the money if i can get him in trouble by an inspection than i don't have to pay any money out the fire mashel would have a heart attack if he sees the way it is wired if the code enforcment handles this where do i look in the phone book.
Did anyone understand this? If so please translate for me.

Ray, I disagree about the "written permission" part. A renter would be nuts to perform work on a house he is renting. Liability and insurance reasons are the keys. Even to the point of legal issues. It is most likely NOT legal for him to do any work there.

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.
He has been there for 15 YEARS.

Lex, go find another place to live if this bothers you so much.
Or, demand your landlord fix it.
Or, sick the local code officials on your landlord.
Or, live with it.

I really don't know what more can be said about this.

Old 05-13-06, 09:00 AM
My suggestion to contact a lawyer after you give the landlord one more chance is the correct answer. Most likely you can get the legal fees paid back.

However, do not tell your landlord you will call a lawyer if you have no plans to do so.

My guess is that it will only take a lawyer one or two hours to get the mess taken care of. If you cannot afford this then you have more issues to deal with than this forum can help you with. How is it you can afford a computer and Internet access but not afford to make the place you call home safe?

Look in the phone book under the offices for the town or county you live in and start making telephone calls. Don't stop with the calls until you speak to the right person. Be very specific. Tell them you have life safety electrical hazards that your landlord will not deal with.

If you have no success with telephone calls, then wire letters and send them certified mail. Your initial letter to your landlord promising legal action should also be sent certified mail.

Your landlord is not taking action because he knows that you have done nothing so far, and does not think you will take action. He also plans to deny any knowledge of these violations if/when it comes down to it. He may even blame them on you.

The advice to do anything yourself, even with permission is bad advice. You cannot and should not do anything of this sort. Period. Your liability, even for removing something, is too great.

Another option is for you to hire an electrician to fix the problem, and then to deduct the cost from your next rent check. Of course, you don;t do this until you have told your landlord, in writing, that you will do so.

Old 05-13-06, 10:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you read the "edit" of my post you will see that on second thought I agree fully that he should not do the work himself. I'd hoped I got thatpeurtunity edit in before my post was read. I guess I didn't. <<G>>

As to reality having done maintenance for owners of rental properties I'd say he might as well look for a new place to live. If he does make waves they will look for any opportunity to throw him off the boat... oops I mean property.

Old 05-13-06, 11:27 AM
No problem here Ray. I see I was typing as you were editing.

Old 05-13-06, 03:01 PM
i'll tell him

i call him and tell him its sparking its not but no harm in lying about it and demand he fix it or at lest split the cost to have it done if not i will call a lawyer.

P.S LAWYER AND COURT FEES ARE MORE THAN WHAT A COMPUTER WITH INTERNET ACCESS COST THE RENT IS 900 A MONTH BUT WE PAY 275 A WEEK THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ALSO I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A PROBLEM UNTILL I POSTED ON THE SITE THE FIRST YEAR WE LIVED HERE THE FIRST INSPECTER SAID SOMTHING ABOUT IT BUT NOTHING WAS DONE HE NEVER CAME BACK OUT THE INSPECTER WE'VE HAD FROM THEN TO NOW AS NOT SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT SO I DID NOT THINK IT WAS A PROBLEM I THOUGHT MABY IT WAS ALLOWED WHEN IT WAS PUT IN SO NOW YOU KNOW WHY NOTHING WAS DONE NOW ANWSER THIS BEFORE I CALL A LAWYER AND SPEND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN COURT FEES WHO DO I CALL THE FIRE MASHAEL I WAS TOLD THAT THE FIRE DEPT. DID FREE INPECTIONS IS THIS TRUE I WANT TO CONSIDER MY CHOICES BEFORE SPENDING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WHEN I DON'T NEED TO OK NOW DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING

Last edited by lexmarks567; 05-13-06 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-13-06, 04:03 PM
lexmarks567,
What state are you located in?

Tim

Old 05-13-06, 04:19 PM
state

WARREN MICHIGAN

Originally Posted by royal12136
lexmarks567,
What state are you located in?

Tim

Old 05-13-06, 06:08 PM
Here is who you would contact:
Division of Buildings and Safety Engineering
Contact Information:

29500 Van Dyke
Warren, MI 48093

Phone:
(586) 574-4504
Fax:
(586) 574-4577

By the sounds of things, your landlord is what we affectionately call a slumlord. Somebody who has a lot of rentals and doesn't take care of them.

It might be better to quitely find out about some of his other rentals, see what other noticeable violations there might be (maybe post some pictures here for us to dissect) and then make an anonymous complaint about him to the aforementioned building department.

The City of Warren seams to be going after slumlords right now, and you might be able to get something done without a lawyer and without losing your place to stay.

Tim

Old 05-14-06, 08:11 PM
not a slumlord

I would not call the landlord a slum lord. Just a lot of things he does not want to spend the money on at this time. We have had a lot of problems with this house and he has sent people out to fix it. We had a new water heater installed and a new roof installed, siding on the garage, new roof on the garage, new window in the garage, and when he remembers new carpet. All this he paid for he had 3 other houses that needed new roofs And some houses that needed a new heating system put in. Hes got a lot of house and a lot of problems so i will remind him to fix it and than i will call the number and see what they say about it but it is a problem and i want it fixed but i don't want him to know that i said somthing about the wire i will say that we had a free inspection and he found the wire to be a violation but i will call that number and get the problem fixed i was told the the wire had to go under ground and you know thats going to cost alot of money cause they have to drill a hole into the ground very deep to run the wire to the garage so thats why he don't have the money it will be thousands of dollars to do that.

Originally Posted by royal12136
Contact Information:

29500 Van Dyke
Warren, MI 48093

Phone:
(586) 574-4504
Fax:
(586) 574-4577

By the sounds of things, your landlord is what we affectionately call a slumlord. Somebody who has a lot of rentals and doesn't take care of them.

It might be better to quitely find out about some of his other rentals, see what other noticeable violations there might be (maybe post some pictures here for us to dissect) and then make an anonymous complaint about him to the aforementioned building department.

The City of Warren seams to be going after slumlords right now, and you might be able to get something done without a lawyer and without losing your place to stay.

Tim

Old 05-23-06, 02:48 AM
Contact Information:

Contact Information:

29500 Van Dyke
Warren, MI 48093

Phone:
(586) 574-4504
Fax:
(586) 574-4577
Thank you royal that is what i wanted to know you are the only one who let me consider my choices before spending thousands of dollars in court fees cause like i said owning a computer with internet is cheaper than court the rent is 900 but we pay 275 a week.

Old 05-23-06, 06:46 AM
[comment removed]

Off topic!

Last edited by racraft; 05-23-06 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 07:40 AM
I am closing this thread. Something is not right here.

lexmarks567, the information royal supplied is something you should have been able to find in the phone book. You do not need to have people from all over the world looking up public information for you.

In my opinion, living in a safe environment is more important than owning a computer and having an Internet connection. Unfortunately you do not seem to agree and seem to have no problem with an unsafe situation.

One letter from a lawyer will not cost you thousands of dollars.

Good luck, and I hope you manage to avoid electrocution and a fire.

Closed Thread