12/3 and then 12/2?

Old 05-11-06, 07:36 AM
magicalpig
Visiting Guest
12/3 and then 12/2?

Say you have a multiwire circuit using 12/3 wire. You alternate receptacles the whole way. You have just wired the next-to-last receptacle and the next and final one is far away. Can you make this final distance with cheaper 12/2 wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 07:38 AM
Yes.

Please remember for this circuit that the neutral wire may not be connected to the receptacles directly (except at the last receptacle). You MUST pigtail the neutral connections.

Old 05-16-06, 11:37 AM
magicalpig
Visiting Guest
racraft,

I've gotten some more hands-on experience so i think I can better visualize what you're saying the job calls for.

Would this
http://i1.************/zvde69.jpg
be the proper way to wire a middle-of-the-run receptacle on a multiwire circuit?

The way you told me not to do it ... would that involve passing the neutral through the receptacle's top screw? If one receptacle trips, the receptacles downstream on the other circuit have no return path. Do I understand the problem correctly?

Thanks

Old 05-16-06, 12:22 PM
Yes, your picture is correct.

However, you are a bit confused in your second paragraph. The reason you cannot run the neutral through the receptacle (ie incoming attached to one silver screw and outgoing to the other silver screw) is because if the neutral fails at the receptacle then you may have 240 volts across items plugged into a receptacle further out on the circuit.

The reason you can';t use a GFCI in this case is because the GFCI will see a current imbalance since the current on the neutral wires is not equal to the current on the hot wire in most cases..