Outlet wire thru studs in the wall-In the way?

Old 05-11-06, 12:10 PM
Angry Outlet wire thru studs in the wall-In the way?

I want to put in a door, from the master bedroom to the 1/2 bath.
but when i cut some wall, i seen and electrical cord about 1' up
from the floor, running thru the studs. I cut the wall by the outlet box in the master bedroom, and seen a cord running from it, i think all outlets in that room are connected to that cable.
I was told you can't cut electrical cord and wire nut it. Is that true? To me that would be the easyest way, to cut the cord, add some more wire and run it above the door, and add wire nuts, that way all outlets would have juice, and i would have a door.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-06, 12:25 PM
Every splice must be in an electrical junction box. Every junction box must be permanently accessible.

To what you want, the best solution is to replace the section of cable from the junction boxes on both sides. Make a longer piece of cable and route it as you suggest.

The second best alternative is to replace a portion of cable, say from a junction box containing a receptacle to a new junction box. You then place a blank cover over the new junction box.

Old 05-11-06, 03:51 PM
If you put a junction box on either side of the door then you could just use a piece of cable between them. Put a receptacle in each box. Use the same size cable as is already there.

YOU CAN NOT JUST NUT THE WIRES TOGETHER AND LEAVE THE NUTS IN THE WALL.

Old 05-11-06, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by joed

YOU CAN NOT JUST NUT THE WIRES TOGETHER AND LEAVE THE NUTS IN THE WALL.
I did this once...many moons ago...before I knew better.

But squirrels on the other hand might get away with the last part of your sentence...unless we are talking about loons from the assylum... or are talking about....

Old 05-12-06, 11:40 AM
I suppose you could leave the nuts in the wall. Just leave on any wires that are live.

Old 05-12-06, 03:50 PM
I'd as Racraft has stated, but I usually take it one step further, I go ahead and install receptacles on either side of the door, using the receptacles as junctions. It seems you just can't have enough receptacles, so rather than boxing one up and cover plating it, just use it as a receptacle.

Old 05-13-06, 11:31 AM
All this talk about junction boxes, has a newbe confused. Why can't i just run new wire from 1 outlet box, to the other outlet
box on the other side of the room, but run it above the door to be,
that way i wouldn't be spliceing anything. I thing the wires just plug in the back of the receptacle.

Old 05-13-06, 11:57 AM
That's fine, and is what I stated in my first post is the best solution.

However, do NOT use the back stab connectors on the back of the receptacle. These back stab connectors tend to fail over time, leading to open connections. Instead use the screw terminals.

What we have all stated you cannot do is to make a splice in the wall with wire nuts (or by any other means) without installing a junction box that is permanently accessible.

Old 05-13-06, 06:57 PM
My suggestion for the outlets is from experience. If you have the ability and are willing to pull cable from one receptacle to the other, by all means, that is the best method. All connections must be in an accessible junction box, that is all we were trying to say.

Old 05-14-06, 01:41 PM
Angry

I took out the receptacle box in ith middle of my bedroom, where
i want to run wire and reroute it to the other outlet. But i say 2 RED wires, one pluged in the back,the other to the live wire screw.
The 2 black wires, the 2 white wires, and the ground wires i understand, BUT what are the RED ones? are they even needed?

Old 05-14-06, 04:45 PM
That receptacle, or half of it is switch controlled. Note on the receptacle that the metal tab between the two gold screws is broken off. It should be reinstalled that way, and the downline receptacles connected to the black wires.