Help with 2" "LB" in wall

Old 05-12-06, 07:48 AM
Help with 2" "LB" in wall

Hi, I am installing a 2" schd 40 PVC conduit for a generator coming in my house. I intend to put an LB outside right against the wall of the house. Once inside I need the wire to go up inside that wall. I intend to sheetrock there and I'm not sure how to make the 90 degree turn in the wall. Should I use another LB? I am wondering if there is another alternative because if I do that I need to fur out the studs another 2 inches to accomodate the LB. I was going to run 3 legs of #2 and 1 leg of #8.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you LB straight into the back of the box without the need for the second bend inside the wall?

Old 05-12-06, 09:31 AM
Are you saying to put a junction box at the backside of the LB? I guess I could do that. What type of box can I use for #2 or #4 wires?

Old 05-12-06, 09:45 AM
Access Pull Bodies

First, let me say I'm not an electrician so I'll defer to the experts if this is legal or NEC compliant but I think you might actually be able to cover this finished solution with sheetrock since it is not a junction box.

Take one access pull body on the outside and make the 90 degree turn into the house. Take a short nipple of Sch 40 and connect another access pull body so it is turned to go up the wall to your final destination for the wire.

Since nothing is joined together in the access pull bodies, I'm thinking the one inside the stud bay could be covered over by the sheetrock.

Again, I'll defer to the experts. I'm looking forward to the replies. Be kind if this is illegal. Just trying to help.

Old 05-12-06, 09:53 AM
That is what I was saying but If I do that I'll need to fur out the wall about 2" to accomodate the depth of the LB. It is only a 2X4 wall. If that's what it takes then so be it I guess.

Old 05-12-06, 11:01 AM
Take up the space outside

You could space the outside conduit away from the wall enough to get the inner LB to sit in the stud bay. Depends if the outside apearance with the conduit on some type of spacer block will be unsightly to you.

Old 05-12-06, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by sgtgerryf
...Take a short nipple of Sch 40 and connect another access pull body so it is turned to go up the wall to your final destination for the wire.

Since nothing is joined together in the access pull bodies, I'm thinking the one inside the stud bay could be covered over by the sheetrock.
I am not an electrician either, but if an 'access pull body' is a conduit body, the removable cover must be permanently accessible, even if there are no splices in the CB.

That means you have to have an access panel or for aesthetics set the cover flush with the finished wall.

You cannot just sheetrock over it and still meet code, unless your local authority makes an exception or your code does not follow the NEC in this regard.

You can use a j-box inside, sized appropriately, with a flush bushing, to reduce your clearance. The flush bushing inserts thru the hole you punch or cut in the box and is sized to fit in the back hole of the LB conduit body. Then you will have to punch or holesaw another hole in that box to get you going the right direction.

You need to figure out the number of volumes that your wires will occupy, but I've done similar stuff with a 4-11/16 square box, an extension ring and a flush mud ring.

2.125" box depth
2.000" extension ring depth
0.0625" flush ring depth
--------

3.500" 2x4 depth
0.625" 5/8" sheetrock
------

A little mud and you should be on your way, although you will have to account for the depth of the back fitting on the LB vs. your sheathing on the outside where the LB will be located.