Need advice for wiring new outdoor circuit

Old 05-12-06, 10:27 PM
HandymanScott
Visiting Guest
Need advice for wiring new outdoor circuit

Am going to run a new circuit outdoors to power low voltage lighting and some convenience receptacles in the yard.

My main box is a siemens G3040B1200 top feed, and flush mounted in a wall in the garage.

Question:

I want to install a new circuit breaker (20 Amp) and go outdoors (thru a LB fitting). How do I do this with a flush mounted box? Do I need to take out some drywall for this?

HMS

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-06, 04:33 AM
Yes, you need access to the outside and the inside of the box.

Old 05-13-06, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
If you want to avoid patching drywall you may be able to place a j-box directly below or to one side of the breaker box. You must be sure not to cut any wires to/from the breaker box when cutting for the J-box. By removing the cover (main breaker off) you should be able to tell with _ limited_ certainty if there are wires interfering. Leave main breaker off while cutting just in case. Align the new J-box with a knock-out in the breaker box. A double-gang or perhaps even single gang old-work box should work. Install a blank cover plate when done. You should be able to run the wires continiously without actually splicing in the J-box.

Old 05-13-06, 07:49 AM
The wire needs to be secure when it enters/leaves the panel. This is very difficult to do without proper access to the outside of the panel.

Last edited by racraft; 05-13-06 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-13-06, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by racraft
The wire needs to be secure when it enters/leaves the panel. This is very difficult to do with proper access to the outside of the panel.
Yes, and, if I may disagree with all due respect, easy enough with a 2-gang opening a couple of inches below the breaker box.

One way which does involve a splice in the J-box is to first clamp a romex holder onto a short piece of Romex and using the opening for the J-box insert the cable and attached clamp into the breaker box. Then install the clamp retaining nut on the breaker box side. There should be plenty of room for a hand in the J-box hole. The old-work box can then be installed.

If Romex was run all the way the Romex could be threaded through the old-work box before it is installed, the romex clamp fastened and installed as detailed above and then the old work box installed.

Old 05-13-06, 10:56 AM
If you are going to make a hole near the panel, why bother running the NM cable through the junction box, or even installing a junction box? Either patch the hole or simply install a blank cover over the hole in the wall.

Old 05-13-06, 07:24 PM
HandymanScott
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of the replies.

What I am hoping to do is figure out a way to drill thru the outside of the garage wall that the breaker box is located in and run my outdoor wire (via a LB) into it, hopefully without major drywall patching.

Should be quite an undertaking. I'm not sure the wife is going to like having the entire house shut down...

Old 05-14-06, 11:33 AM
nap
Originally Posted by HandymanScott
Thanks for all of the replies.

What I am hoping to do is figure out a way to drill thru the outside of the garage wall that the breaker box is located in and run my outdoor wire (via a LB) into it, hopefully without major drywall patching.

Should be quite an undertaking. I'm not sure the wife is going to like having the entire house shut down...
If I am correct as to your lay out you should be able to go directly out the back of the box. (if it is acceptable to have the LB at that height on the outside wall to you)

You would need to make a nipple of the appropriate length to reach from the end of the LB to the back of the box. If you use EMT, the length of nipple should reach just to the panel, then with the addition of the connector, it will poke into the panel and you can put on the lock-nut. Be sure to caulk around the LB to prevent water from entering the wall.

The other option I can think of is if you do not want a conduit to be exposed as would be in the above method, drill a hole in the exterior wall at the floor line immediately below the panel. Install a "bell box' or other weatherproof junction box. Before installing the box, fish a length of the appropriate gage of NM cable inside the wall into the panel via a knockout or drill the appropriate size hole.. Use a snap in plastic NM bushing. This is adequate to retain the wire in the panel. or if you are really crafty and want to use a NM connector that actually squeezes via screws on to the NM, you can place it on the wire allowing enough extra for the distance inside of the panel sticking past the connector. Fish this up to the panel and install the lock nut. Be sure to use a connector at the bell box and caulk around the box to prevent water intrusion.

A third option would be to simply use the lb instead of the j-box at the ground level. Be sure to attach the LB to the wall.

no drywall repair required.