Old 05-13-06, 09:48 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

how to change from regular breaker to a gfic
Old 05-13-06, 10:02 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,970
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a GFCI breaker designed for your panel.

With the main power off, disconnect the hot wire from the existing breaker and then remove it.

Install the new breaker and connect the hot wire to the breaker. Then take the neutral wire from the GFCI breaker and connect it to the neutral bus, replacing the neutral wire for the circuit, which you move to the GFCI breaker.

Be very careful inside the panel, even with the panel main breaker off, as there are still dangerous voltages inside the panel. If you have a cutoff breaker somewhere else, such as at the meter or at another panel, then turn the power off there as well.

If this is a 240 volt breaker you are replacing, you still need to connect the neutral wire of the GFCI breaker to neutral bus, even if the circuit has no neutral.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: