AC Triggered Outlet

Old 05-14-06, 08:42 AM
AC Triggered Outlet

Do such devices exist? I need to have several fans turn on whenever my projector is on.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-06, 09:46 AM
nap
Originally Posted by mskreis
Do such devices exist? I need to have several fans turn on whenever my projector is on.
Not exactly sure what you mean by "ac triggered outlet" but ultimately yes, you can control multiple circuits as you ask.

One way is to use a multiple pole switch using seperate feeds and loads on one switch. It is like 2 or 3 single pole switches put togethter. Be sure to use a horsepower rated switch becasue of the fans.

Another way to do this is for the projector switch to also control a relay which controls the fans.

Old 05-14-06, 10:46 AM
Smart Strip Power Strip for one.

There are other power strips designed to turn on and off a monitor and other acessories based on the power status of a PC.

Old 05-14-06, 10:59 AM
nap
Originally Posted by classicsat

There are other power strips designed to turn on and off a monitor and other acessories based on the power status of a PC.
I would be suspect of the rated capacity of such devices in regards to the OP's quest. Most pc equipment is quite low current draw.

Integration of such a device may also be diffucult due to size and structure of such a device.

Old 05-15-06, 09:34 AM

This looks like a simple solution - where can I find one of these?

Old 05-15-06, 01:41 PM
nap
smart strip power strip

or google it

Old 05-15-06, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by nap
I would be suspect of the rated capacity of such devices in regards to the OP's quest. Most pc equipment is quite low current draw.

Integration of such a device may also be diffucult due to size and structure of such a device.
A typical modern home projector draws no more power than a typical home PC, so there should be no reason using such a device for the purpose the OP desires won't work.

Old 05-15-06, 03:05 PM
nap
A typical modern home projector draws no more power than a typical home PC, so there should be no reason using such a device for the purpose the OP desires won't work.
The OP did not state a power requirement. Additionally, what the projector draws is irrelevant in the power strip situation, it is the fans that are controlled (as OP's post). The 'strip' is triggered by the current flow of the projector.
You can get computer fans that draw <1 amp to a fan that draws hundreds of amps. The power strip is limited to 15 amps.

If it will work, fine. If not, he will have to find another way.

Old 05-15-06, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by nap
That will work but it is overkill in my situation. All I want to do is have two 120mm 12V PC fans on whenever my projector is on.

Earlier a relay was mentioned. Can I get a little more specific info on how to do this?

Thanks

Old 05-15-06, 07:02 PM
Where are you getting the 12VDC power for the fans? Does the projector have an auxillary output that can trigger a projection screen?

Old 05-15-06, 07:03 PM
nap
Originally Posted by mskreis
That will work but it is overkill in my situation. All I want to do is have two 120mm 12V PC fans on whenever my projector is on.

Earlier a relay was mentioned. Can I get a little more specific info on how to do this?

Thanks
Do you have a 12v (DC?) power source available?
Are you mounting the fans in or near the projector?

Depending on what is available for control power (whatever turns the projector on) and power source for the fans will change things some.

Old 05-16-06, 06:01 AM
I plan on getting the 12v power from a converter.

The fans will be within 6 inches of the projector, which is plugged into a receptacle about 1 ft away.

Old 05-16-06, 02:15 PM
nap
I would suggest an "ice cube" relay with a 120 volt coil. You will have to tap into the switched power for the projector. If the recep is being switched, great, if not, you will need to tap into the switched power inside the projector.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/1...9695/tab3.html

like the 700-HD-32A1 and appropriate base.
You can put this in an enclosure

This will allow you to control anything up to 15 amps (per contact set)

What do you think??

There are also electronic relays available to do the same thing but are more expensive.