Splicing Many Wire Together?

Old 05-16-06, 12:37 PM
Splicing Many Wire Together?

I am setting up a few (full voltage) lights off of my 2-level deck & find that I will need to splice together a number of 16 gauge wires to accomplish what I want to do. (they will be spliced together in an outdoor box under the deck & run off a GFCI protected breaker) I am looking for a tip on the best way to connect all these wires together. ( it will be to many wires for a normal wire nut) Something like a grounding bar assembly would work I guess...if I could insulate it properly????
Any ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-06, 12:45 PM
16 gage is the wrong size. For a 20 amp breaker you need 12 gage wire. For a 15 amp breaker you need 14 gage wire.

Old 05-16-06, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your reply Bob. The circuit runs off a 15 amp gfci breaker. Do I really need to run 14 guage wire to each light on this new line? ( I will be setting up around 6-8 lights on this line.....a couple of spotlights & some lanterns.....each of which will be running a 75 watt bulb...tops)

Old 05-16-06, 03:18 PM
Yes, you need to use 14 gage wire.

You should be running from light to light, so splicing many wires together shoulkd not be happening.

You should be using UF-B cable or THWN wire in conduit, from junction box to junction box.

Old 05-16-06, 03:45 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Devil505
Thanks for your reply Bob. The circuit runs off a 15 amp gfci breaker. Do I really need to run 14 guage wire to each light on this new line? ( I will be setting up around 6-8 lights on this line.....a couple of spotlights & some lanterns.....each of which will be running a 75 watt bulb...tops)
Can you explain your situation. I would like to understand how you would end up with the large number of wires all in one place.

If you really do need to connect many wires together, I would use a terminal strip with jumpers installed.